• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern newspaper tokens offer is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/j...tm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_term

We have teamed up with your local newspaper to give you the chance to explore the North for less.

Hop on and off all day long. £10 for one day or £17.50 for a weekend*, you can travel anywhere on the Northern network with our exclusive offer. Plus, kids go half price!**

Travel will be available from week commencing 25 September to 26 November 2017 (excluding 21 October - 5 November 2017). All tickets must be for travel on the same date. Tickets are valid on trains departing after 08:45 Monday to Friday. Valid anytime at weekends.

To qualify for this special offer:

Collect three tokens from your local newspaper below.
Complete the application form and then buy your tickets from any staffed station.

Whether it's for shopping, a family break or visiting friends and relatives, we have it covered.

*Terms and conditions apply, see website for details. **Children 5-15 years.

Terms and Conditions
1. Tickets are available for sale from Monday 25 September 2017 until Sunday 26 November 2017 (for One Day Ranger tickets) and Saturday 30 September - Saturday 25 November 2017 (for Weekend Rover tickets). Tickets can be purchased up to three days in advance of travel.
2. Travel is available from Monday 25 September - Sunday 26 November 2017 (excluding 21 October - 5 November 2017 inclusive). One day tickets are available every day for the duration of this offer. Weekend tickets are available each Saturday and Sunday between Saturday 30 September - Saturday 25 November 2017 (excluding 21/22 and 28/29 October, and 4/5 November 2017).
3. Time restrictions: only valid on trains timed to depart after 0845 Mondays to Fridays. Valid at any time weekends and Bank Holidays.
4. 3 tokens allow you to buy up to 4 Northern Day Ranger or 4 Weekend Rover tickets.
5. Price: Day Ranger - adult £10.00 each / child £5.00 each for one day ticket OR Weekend Ranger - £17.50 each / child £8.75 each for one weekend ticket - no further discounts available. *Children 5-15 years inclusive.
6. Valid on trains operated by Northern only. This offer is not valid for travel on Arriva Trains Wales, Cross Country, Virgin East Coast, East Midlands Trains, First Hull Trains, First TransPennine Express, Grand Central, London Midland, Merseyrail Electrics or Virgin Trains services.
7. Affix two tokens from participating newspapers to the application form and take to any staffed station within the Northern network. The tickets for this offer cannot be purchased on trains.
8. Completed signed application forms are valid to purchase up to four Northern Day Ranger or Weekend Rover tickets (must include a minimum one adult ticket) for the same day/weekend of travel. Photocopies of tokens and application forms are not accepted.
9. Postcode details will be shared with Johnston Press. If you opted in for marketing from Northern and Johnston Press during registration, your details will be passed to Johnston Press, Orchard Brae House, 30 Queensferry Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2HS.

There seems to be a contradiction between three tokens and No 7 stipulating two tokens

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

totally

Has anybody tried filling in the new form yet. I have tried several times and the date will not return the correct date when submit is pressed. I am inputting dd-mm-yy

johnnychips

Established Member
Perhaps I'm being very thick, but if the paper is weekly, you wouldn't be able to travel during the next three weeks. Or can you buy three copies of the same paper? Or could you buy the daily Yorkshire Post, say, on three consecutive days?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Does any kind soul fancy sending me some tocans? I live outwith the publication areas of all publications but could make very good use of these should anyone be feeling big hearted. Happy to buy you a coffee or a pint if ever in your area.

Veteran Member
Perhaps I'm being very thick, but if the paper is weekly, you wouldn't be able to travel during the next three weeks. Or can you buy three copies of the same paper? Or could you buy the daily Yorkshire Post, say, on three consecutive days?

Buying multiple copies is OK. The tokens are (OK have been) undated.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Does any kind soul fancy sending me some tocans? I live outwith the publication areas of all publications but could make very good use of these should anyone be feeling big hearted. Happy to buy you a coffee or a pint if ever in your area.

If it helps, I will be passing through Preston on 4 October southbound, and passing through northbound on the 7 October.

My intention is to attempt to pick up some copies of the Lancashire Daily Telegraph.

I will let you know if I am successful or not.

johntea

Established Member
My Dad used to frequently visit the newspaper recycling bins several years back around 7-8pm ;)

There was some massive token competition years back and I remember he won loads of cash, holidays, even a car I think as he had entered hundreds and hundreds of tokens!

Established Member
My Dad used to frequently visit the newspaper recycling bins several years back around 7-8pm ;)

There was some massive token competition years back and I remember he won loads of cash, holidays, even a car I think as he had entered hundreds and hundreds of tokens!

Don't give me ideas...

Francis

There is a list of newspapers and exact dates for when the tokens are included. Follow the link above and then the next link to Johnston Press. Dailies Lancashire Evening Post and Wigan Evening Post are on three Mondays, 25/9, 2/10 & 9/10. Local papers which come out once a week like Lancaster Guardian (Thurs) and Chorley Guardian (Tues) on their respective days - but the weeklies will be around longer on the paper stands.

Karl

On Moderation
I've just picked up three Lancashire Evening Posts this morning and I can confirm the tokens are the same as last time.

Form filled in, tokens attached and off I go up around the Cumbrian Coast on the Loco hauled 10.04 from Preston.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I looked through Saturday's (23rd) Sheffield Star and there was an advert saying "Start collecting tokens next week". Next (this) week isn't one of the listed weeks, though........

They seem to have complicated this offer this time, and in so doing appear to have confused themselves (or their partner newspaper) as well as me. Is it daily, or is one expected to buy three copies of the same paper - and if it's the latter, who does it advantage? And if they are paying Johnston for an Ad, why not put a token in it?

johntea

Established Member
Here’s a question...if you’re travelling using this offer and there is any disruption on Northern trains what rights do you have?

I ask as I’m staying over in Carlisle in a Travelodge tonight and one service this afternoon looked to be cancelled from Leeds, not a problem as I’m going for the 17:50 but if that got cancelled I would be a bit stuck!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think at that point the railways standard obligations of getting you where you want to be kick in and they would most likely authorise you to travel to Preston and Northwards from there.

I wonder whats up on the S and C? There was a hefty delay on one this morning at around half 11 when I passed through Carlisle, also on newspaper tocans!

Veteran Member
I think at that point the railways standard obligations of getting you where you want to be kick in and they would most likely authorise you to travel to Preston and Northwards from there.

I wonder whats up on the S and C? There was a hefty delay on one this morning at around half 11 when I passed through Carlisle, also on newspaper tocans!

Yesterday it was adhesion issues...

johntea

Established Member
17:50 was fine, well loaded too presumably in part to the earlier disruptions / cancellations!

Out of interest is there a Northern only route back via Newcastle without doing Carlisle > Newcastle > Carlisle > Leeds?

I had no problem obtaining the coupons with the help of family that actually read the paper but it would be nice if they could offer the promotion in a more digital format these days (I presume they just want my details for potential marketing anyway rather than having to buy several papers only to chuck them away!), it would be nice to be able to pick the rover up from an unstaffed station TVM. Leeds barriers instantly reject it too!

AnkleBoots

Do any of the newspapers cost less than £1?

Am tempted to buy more than I need just in case friends/family decide they want some in November.

Karl

On Moderation
Just a reminder that today, Friday the 13th, is the last day the tokens are printed in the 75p Lancashire Evening Post.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Out of interest is there a Northern only route back via Newcastle without doing Carlisle > Newcastle > Carlisle > Leeds?
Nothing between Darlington and York. However, the last time I was out on one of these an Advance on TPE Darlington > York cost me less than a fiver (with an Old Git's Railcard).

Do any of the newspapers cost less than £1?
Sheffield Star 75p

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Does anybody happen to have some tokens that they're not planning to use? I'll pay postage and a pint for any on offer!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anybody happen to have some tokens that they're not planning to use? I'll pay postage and a pint for any on offer!
Does anyone know for sure whether or not York Press are included? They were in the past but are not currently listed, but that could be an error? (I think I recall there being no listing on a previous occasion when they were available, but I may be mistaken)

If they are, and someone can provide the dates, then I should be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.