• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Train Driver Sheffield 'on hold candidates' course commencement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailos

Hi All,

Bear with me -narrative below is on the long side.

I applied for the Sheffield Trainee Train driver role in March 2016. *I had first interviews in Sheffield Mid May and assessments in Manchester last week of June which I passed

I received an email end of June from Recruitment saying they are in the process of allocating course places and they would be in touch to update me on this process.

The status on my nothern rail online account says on hold after successful driver assessment. I asked Northern recruitment about on hold status 2 weeks ago and was advised the post is not on hold and they name candidates who have passed both interview and assessment as 'on-hold candidates' I was told Northern are now in the process of assigning on hold candidates for this role to a course start date. I was also told at the moment they are still waiting for confirmed dates of courses and would be in touch once they allocate candidates to a course and organise a medical.

It is quite a long recruitment process:( albeit an emotional roller coaster.

I'm quite excited to start this role but then again I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I have been trawling through the threads (looks like there are courses running this month for Leeds and Manchester trainees)

I'm left wondering if anyone else is waiting for course allocation dates for Sheffield trainee train driver from role advertised around March 2016.

Thanks and best wishes!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bonelorry

Brief answer, Massive recruitment drive since April with the new franchise, More applications than HR can probably handle, Not enough Driver trainers to train any new candidates, The training acedemy is at full capacity at the moment and there is physically no space for any more courses.

You will have to be patient I am afraid.

Adam0984

Also heard that money allocated to the training of drivers is a little tight after running a lot of courses for both drivers and guards. As well as the Leeds training academy is full at the moment

Kit.Frank

I'm in the same predicament Bailos- an 'on hold' candidate for a trainee driver role. Same TOC, different depot.

I phoned HR for any updates the other day. The gentleman I spoke to was very understanding but was unable to give me any information/idea re. timescale etc at present. I must be more patient!

From reading the threads on here, this can be a long process... but a very worthwhile one. Let me know if you hear anything.

Footplate1

There's a lot of trainee footplate going on at the moment, Northern are struggling for driver trainers.

Bailos

Thanks Footplate1 I just read a few of your posts. Useful insight into the job and what you experience on a daily basis.
Hoping it won't be an excessively long wait Kit.Frank...will keep you posted

Footplate1

Thanks Footplate1 I just read a few of your posts. Useful insight into the job and what you experience on a daily basis.
Hoping it won't be an excessively long wait Kit.Frank...will keep you posted

No worries, it can be a hugely rewarding role but like any job has its ups and downs but after 20+ years driving I still enjoy the job mostly.

garethbell24

Hi there Balios, did you attend the assessment day on the 23rd June Mercure Hotel, Manchester, I passed that day an am on hold. Still non the wiser on course dates....

Red Devil

As other's have said, Northern's training school is full to capacity at the moment with courses going on. Bear in mind they've only just recruited extra trainers.
Then there's a shortage of Dtm's at certain depots which all combined means patience is what's needed

Status
Not open for further replies.