• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nostalgic May 6: Swanage Steam & Double Decker Ferry (50 p.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roni

Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Nostalgic May 5: Bournemouth & Corfe Castle Diesel Gala (50 p.)

The video for this part:

May 15 2023

My Monday morning 9:04 train towards Weymouth departed from Bournemouth platform 4, separated from the rest of the station by a gate.
mainost0601.jpg

7:55 Weymouth to London Waterloo arriving.
mainost0602.jpg

mainost0603.jpg

Icons from past decades at Wareham.
mainost0604.jpg

Pedestrian level crossing.
mainost0605.jpg

South Western Railway 1W54 9:20 Weymouth - London in old livery at 9:53 a.m.
mainost0606.jpg

The Desiro passed a "Purbeck Breezer" bus out of service. To the bottom left one of the new signals with a much larger LED field showing multiple colours, also repeated small on the side.
mainost0607.jpg

Next, I took "Purbeck Breezer" line #40 to Corfe Castle like the day before and quickly walked from the stop in the village centre to the station.

West Country Class 34028 "Eddystone" arrived with smokebox towards Norden:

mainost0608.jpg

A lovely picture.
mainost0609.jpg

Edited to look like an old colour photo.
mainost0610.jpg

More about the West Country Class:

mainost0611.jpg

That's why it is always wise to visit heritage stations not on gala days, you can enjoy a plethora of interesting details.
mainost0612.jpg

mainost0613.jpg

mainost0614.jpg

A rake stood stabled at the second platform.
mainost0615.jpg

DMUs could be found as well.
mainost0616.jpg

mainost0617.jpg

The castle had been slighted in 1646 by Parliamentarian sappers:

mainost0618.jpg

mainost0619.jpg

The train returned from Swanage at 11:36 a.m. in spotlight.
mainost0620.jpg

mainost0621.jpg

The engine is a "Bulleid Pacific" without typical "spam can" streamlining.
mainost0622.jpg

mainost0623.jpg

mainost0624.jpg

Even a visit to the toilet pays off in British heritage stations.
mainost0625.jpg

mainost0626.jpg

All in all, I have captured most motifs around Corfe Castle: in 2007, the steam loco was operating the other way round. The last spot in the report showing the signals from the side sadly has been overgrown since (in German, please use autotranslate):

And now... it's: Part 3 - Swanage (50 p.)

mainost0627.jpg

Typical exchange of the token.
mainost0628.jpg

I leisurely steamed to Swanage. Volunteers work for heritage railways up until old age - hats off to their service!
mainost0629.jpg

One advantage when visiting heritage lines around galas: there might be some more action. 33111 shunting at the terminal.
mainost0630.jpg

Class 50 united, 50021 and 50026.
mainost0631.jpg

mainost0632.jpg

mainost0633.jpg

mainost0634.jpg

34028 had to wait until the class 33 was out of the way. I took this picture past a very nice gentleman. The railway was quite busy even on weekdays.
mainost0635.jpg

At lovely Swanage bay; only British sewage definitely should be avoided according to some news reports...
mainost0636.jpg

The tracks are relics of the Swanage pier tramway closed in 1930:

mainost0637.jpg

Swanage is located at the eastern end of the 100 miles long Jurassic Coast.
You could see the Isle of Wight well (spoiler: preview). I heard locals talking that bad weather is supposed to follow if the view across the bay was clear - but the next day would remain almost cloudless... :0)
mainost0638.jpg

45108 and 34070 "Manston" in "spam can" design next to the bus depot.
mainost0639.jpg

30120 - former LSWR 120 from 1899 - inside the shed, 30111 shunted past D345.
mainost0640.jpg

mainost0641.jpg

The steam train departed at 1:30 p.m. leaving its cylinder valves open for a long time - at first, I feared you would not be able to see the steamer at all (see video at minute 7:19). But then the engine emerged from the cloud of steam and chugged past its sister loco. The sun also stayed out during the departure.
mainost0642.jpg

I chose the photos where steam covered most of the cars parked along the street in the background. The hedge was only slightly extended virtually.
mainost0643.jpg

mainost0644.jpg

mainost0645.jpg

Unique rail cargo one week after the coronation.
mainost0646.jpg

I boarded the following "Purbeck Breezer" #50 along the coast to Bournemouth. We approached Poole Harbour through nice landscape - supposedly the world's second largest natural harbour after Sydney.
mainost0647.jpg

A special bus line: it takes a ferry to cross the mouth of the harbour to Sandbanks.
mainost0648.jpg

Double-deckers of line 50 were operating with a half-open upper deck. However, temperatures had not reached a level to justify such operation. The bus got ever busier; some people like a German tourist family were forced to sit outside laughing about their involuntary adventure.
mainost0649.jpg

View across the harbour at fittingly named Sandbanks. On to Bournemouth station you never leave the area of settlement. The South East Dorset conurbation including Poole and Bournemouth is home to half a million residents.
Tesco Express was closed due to a power cut, so I chose the big ASDA at the station. Next day would be an early start... :)
mainost0650.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.