• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OBB Sleeper Tickets - Collect at Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
I've booked myself on the Sleeper train from Venice to Vienna.
They've given me a link to download and print my tickets but I also read I can pick them up from the station. I'd prefer authentic tickets from that country, rather than A4 printed, but can I print off AND collect at the station?

I'm just nervous incase I can't pick them up from the station and they won't accept anything I can show online.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If I were you I would email ÖBB and ask directly.
There are problems with cross-border tickets when you do not purchase in the country you begin your journey.
It all depends on the degree of cooperation between ÖBB and Trenitalia systems which I think is poor.
If you have an e-ticket from ÖBB I would print it off and use it on the train.
You might have an option to pick up a classic ticket from an ÖBB ATM or ticket office, but you won't find any of those in Venice.

Sorry to be obscure, but I know that there are frequent grumbles from people who have bought (eg) a Vienna-Budapest ticket from MAV, and are surprised to find they can only pick the ticket up in Hungary.
This is because ÖBB and MAV do not cooperate on ticketing, even on the same jointly-operated train.
The general rule I use to avoid all this is to choose an e-ticket if offered, or buy from the starting country (for your trip, Trenitalia).

As another example, I booked Basel-Milan from SBB expecting a e-ticket, but only got a booking reference to use in an SBB ATM/office.
This was fine as that was where I was starting.
It seems Trenitalia don't accept SBB e-tickets, even though it's a joint service.

Hopefully, you'll be OK with your e-ticket.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I agree it's unlikely you'll be able to pick up a ticket you bought from ÖBB in Italy.

Last edited:

Birdbrain

I've done this on this exact journey. I tried to pick up from the TVM in Venice and it didn't work so I queued up at the ticket office and they printed it off for me on normal ticket stock no problem

whhistle

On Moderation
I've emailled OBB but they take an age to reply :(

So much so, they cost me an extra £50 or so as I was waiting for a response before purchasing - then the price went up!

Status
Not open for further replies.