• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Obligation to sell tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Tibbs' recent thread on trains that have no more space for passengers got me thinking about another hypothetical question.

I'm aware that all TOCs must sell the full range of walk-up tickets. If a TOC becomes aware of an unplanned disruption to a service, can they refuse to sell a walk-up ticket for travel on that service?

Once they've sold the ticket they are of course contractually obliged to transport you to the destination, by alternative transport where necessary, which may still work out cheaper to a passenger who has lots of time to kill than if they paid for a bus/taxi directly instead of buying a ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

I have known stations to stop selling tickets to destinations if there is severe disruption on a particular line. However I'm not sure about whether they would for a particular train if there is otherwise a normal service in operation.

Slightly different topic, I have known TOCs to send emails to ticket offices advising them to not retail any 1st Class tickets for xx service as the guard has advised the 1st Class is full and cannot accommodate any more passengers.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
A passenger should always be made aware of known disruption before the ticket is sold (at the time of sale). If there are no services due to disruption, tickets should not be sold until a confirmed departure time is established (unless it is for future travel and the service is likely to have resumed).

michael769

Established Member
I have seen both Waverley and Haymarket refuse to sell 1st class to Glasgow when Scotland are paying at home as the trains enevitably end up so rammed that 1st is declassified Likewise in major disruption where all services grid to a halt the ticket machines are shut down and the ticket office only sells tickets for future dates.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have seen both Waverley and Haymarket refuse to sell 1st class to Glasgow when Scotland are paying at home as the trains inevitably end up so rammed that 1st is declassified

Like today. 1st was rammed with riff - raff. Also when The Open in on in Scotland no 1st tickets are available on the affected routes (mainly Aderdeens).

With regard to the OP's original question - yes instruction can be given to retailers to stop selling walk up fares to certain stations in time of disruption.

wensley

Established Member
I have known a station refuse to sell GC Only tickets if a service has been cancelled prior to the passenger's arrival at the station...even though GC shoulder the cost of onward travel!

D6975

Established Member
FGW went one further than this a few years ago. England were playing Wales on an evening in Cardiff. FGW knew that the only services to Bristol after the match (2 IIRC) would be wedged, so simply cancelled them and put up notices that it would not be possible to get back to Bristol etc after the match.

BrownE

They can of course refuse to sell you any fare and refuse you access to the railway. Of course in practice this doesn't happen often!

Given the above control of premises, I would imagine they are entitled to not sell the ticket. Whether they do or not is a different question.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The reason I asked is because I know for instance TOCs must sell the full range of tickets including those restricted to another TOCs services only, and wondered if this or a similar rule would apply in the above situation

michael769

Established Member
I would imagine that they only have to sell tickets that can actually be used.

David Goddard

Established Member
OK take this one.
-The railway is closed between stations A and B, with a replacement bus service in operation.
-A scheduled bus service also operates between the two points, passing both stations with a similar frequency to the train service.
If a Senior aged customer comes to the window of station A and asks for a "Single to station B", is it morally right to sell them a rail ticket, or should they instead suggest that they might want to use the scheduled bus service for free with their bus pass?

michael769

Established Member
If the passenger insists on buying the ticket they must sell it, but I see no reason why the clerk cannot give them such advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.