• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oil lamps - what were these used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewnansek

Hi all - I've come across two of these oil lamps but not sure what they would have been used for. My grandfather had them after the railway closures. Found them hidden in one of his sheds whilst tidying up. They are from southern railway (or region) presumably (SR marked on top) and probably from Kings Nympton station in Devon where he used to work (late 30s until 60s). Would be grateful for any pointers as to their original usage :)

I've popped a picture of the lamp and one of the manufacturer's brass plate 20171125_154703.jpg 20171125_154718.jpg for you to look at

many thanks all for your help in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
These are the internal works of signal lamps. They would have dropped into a casing fixed to the signal and fitted with a lens to concentrate the light. The arrangement of handle/cap/chain is to ensure that the 'lampman', when carrying a refilled lit lamp up the ladder to the top of the signal didn't get his hand overheated. Once in the outer casing the handle was laid down thus raising the cap to allow the flame to burn properly.
These look rather rusty - if you want to get them cleaned up, you can do so, but do check with some paraffin poured into the container that there are no leaks, particularly in the base, due to the rusting. I recommend that this be done out of doors!

dewnansek

These are the internal works of signal lamps. They would have dropped into a casing fixed to the signal and fitted with a lens to concentrate the light. The arrangement of handle/cap/chain is to ensure that the 'lampman', when carrying a refilled lit lamp up the ladder to the top of the signal didn't get his hand overheated. Once in the outer casing the handle was laid down thus raising the cap to allow the flame to burn properly.
These look rather rusty - if you want to get them cleaned up, you can do so, but do check with some paraffin poured into the container that there are no leaks, particularly in the base, due to the rusting. I recommend that this be done out of doors!

Excellent - many thanks for your knowledge! I'll google the best way of cleaning up the rust and will check for leaks first :)

John Webb

Established Member
I should have made clear that if you wished to get them working again it was necessary to check for leaks. If you only want to clean then up then a leak check is not important. Gentle cleaning with 'wet and dry' paper will probably do the trick. Start off at around 200 grit and work your way down to 600 grit. Bear in mind that too much hard rubbing may take you through the metal sheet. Once in reasonable condition you can wipe over with a light oil to deter further rusting, unless you intend to get them working when leave 'as is'. Keep in a dry, preferably warm, place otherwise.

If there is a wick in place, treat with caution as it may contain asbestos.

Status
Not open for further replies.