• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Air Loco Maintenance facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

When I was a keen spotter in the 1970's / early to mid 1980's Buxton MPD on a weekend was one of my favorite haunts. Since then of course Buxton has closed and has been replaced with an open air facility at Peak Forest. However I can't help but think that servicing a loco in driving rain / sleet / snow cannot be much fun! I dare say there are plenty more examples around the country.

Not only that but from what I've observed Freightliner tend to do engine swaps in the open elements, or they certainly do that in Leeds. Again this can't be very pleasant with inclement weather.

Any thoughts regarding this would be very welcome. Merry Christmas everyone!

Regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eng274

Light maintenance out in the open is perhaps just about possible, but anything that requires panels off to work on the engine (assuming diesel) or electrical cabinets requires protection obviously. I wouldn't like to be working on a 400V AC 3phase supply when it's blowing a gale and raining, even if it is isolated..it would certainly introduce more faults than you'd fix whilst out in the elements, and in the event of a serious fault, the first question by depot management would be "who was the last person working on it?"

There's the personal safety element too, I wouldn't want sensitive electronics or fiddly mechanicals being done by someone who wasn't in an environment conducive to good concentration to do the job properly. Not a reflection on the person's competence, merely that everyone suffers to a degree when it's Baltic outside.

Last edited by a moderator:

fgwrich

Established Member
Seems to be the general trend these days sadly, mostly on DB Schenker sites where previously the maintenance would have been carried out inside a depot building - Thornaby, St Blazey (which may well be happening soon if not already happened) and next up will be the once mighty former Bescot TMD where the original steam shed buildings have finally sadly gone to the ground, with the diesel depot due to be demolished next. But at the same time, DB and EWS in it's days were both keen on centralising loco maintenance on Toton TMD - certainly with the arrival of the 66s.

I've Even heard of situations where the level of maintenance has required the use of a crane - but with no facilities on site other than a Portercabin and possibly a small pit, a road crane has had to be brought in.

Last edited:

Eng274

Going off thread a bit, do freightliner have any loco maintenance sites in Scotland, ie more than just refuelling and minor servicing?

David Barrett

G'day everyone,

When I was a keen spotter in the 1970's / early to mid 1980's Buxton MPD on a weekend was one of my favorite haunts. Since then of course Buxton has closed and has been replaced with an open air facility at Peak Forest. However I can't help but think that servicing a loco in driving rain / sleet / snow cannot be much fun! I dare say there are plenty more examples around the country.

Not only that but from what I've observed Freightliner tend to do engine swaps in the open elements, or they certainly do that in Leeds. Again this can't be very pleasant with inclement weather.

Any thoughts regarding this would be very welcome. Merry Christmas everyone!

Regards,

Richmond Commuter!

This is personal and subjective but speaking as one who experienced working under these conditions and being engaged on "Drive by maintenance" from time to time I can only say that the substantial downsizing of E.W.S. Depots came as a relief. Regardless of the economic imperative attempting to carry out the likes of A Exams under these arrangements was no joke particularly during bad weather as one struggled to thoroughly undertake safety on line work. Maybe I was too fussy but it was a long time after my departure that I started to experience a decent night's sleep. Give me shelter, a pit and reasonable lighting any day; in my view these are necessary, not luxuries, and their provision ensures a greater chance of something untoward being detected, often difficult enough in reasonable conditions but more so with rain droplets etc. dribbling down ones specs. In many cases the in shed environment was far from ideal but it was a sight better than the current situation at many locations. I would almost entirely agree with 158>185's comments above but have grave reservations about any safety critical function regardless of status being carried out away from a sheltered environment free from the additional burden of inclement weather.

Best wishes, one continues to hope for peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

David.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It happens in all parts of the freight sector - maintenance on locos and wagons is done, more and more, "in the field" without access to proper facilities for men or machines. The conditions some of the fitters work in are frankly appalling and should not be permitted.

David Barrett

It happens in all parts of the freight sector - maintenance on locos and wagons is done, more and more, "in the field" without access to proper facilities for men or machines. The conditions some of the fitters work in are frankly appalling and should not be permitted.

You are correct; I recall the early days of "Drive By" when we were sent out from Immingham to carry out A Exams at North Lincoln (Scunthorpe) on 66s; no fuel, no oil and, given the massive consumption of sand that these machines were notorious for, not a chance to be able to carry adequate quantities in the van. So an exam was done after a fashion subject to the proviso that the locomotive was worked to a depot where consumables were to hand ie. not complete and I always refused to sign for any individual task so affected. A pointless exercise to save on rates, power and movement costs although I hesitate to include the associated costs of shed cleaning and maintenance at this point as these quaint and old fashioned practices had seemingly ceased some time previously, the floors and pits at Immingham were a disgrace in the last few years there, boots rotted in weeks and one's feet were black after a shift's work - horrendous, there was a pitiless disregard shown for the welfare of men already engaged in a difficult occupation.

Representations were made, letters were written, ears and eyes were closed. There is no wonder that when closure proceedings were instigated there was no shortage of craftsmen prepared to tick the yes box in the redundancy application.

Last edited:

zn1

three bridges wagon repair depot was outdoors for years, if anyone remembers around 1990 the yard was chock with trip wagons, the south central found some spare cash and the covered accommodation was built, it became for a while the voyager depot on the south central, they did all the VIBT & PPM under cover, great lil depot, great lads to work with..wonder what happened to em all

Status
Not open for further replies.