• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open TTD questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have been really getting into Open TTD. I have cheated a bit and used bus stations to "lock up" a city and make sure I collect the maximum number of passengers. I have now reached the limit of bus stops in the game.

Is there any way to increase the number of bus stops in open TTD?

Alternatively is there a way to " lock up" a town without putting a bus/lorry stop on every square?

1694552687931.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
no idea! how can i find out?
It's not as active as it used to be, but TT Forums is a decent resource. You may have to dig a little to find the answers you need though.

it's a while since I've played the game, but the technique shown in your screenshot is very different to techniques I used to use to obtain the same results. The large number of mods available for the game do mean there are many different settings you can toggle, but you shouldn't need to cover every bit of road with bus stops in order to get full coverage in a town. If my memory serves me, the settings you need to toggle will be in Advanced Settings on the menu screen.

Failing that- if you've been linking the different bus stops so they all form part of the same 'grouped' station, you should be able to remove most of them and not lose any coverage. Each one you remove will mean you can place another elsewhere.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Failing that- if you've been linking the different bus stops so they all form part of the same 'grouped' station, you should be able to remove most of them and not lose any coverage. Each one you remove will mean you can place another elsewhere.
thanks - yes - that is what I'm doing - I forgot to remove the excess stations when building the group!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
thanks - yes - that is what I'm doing - I forgot to remove the excess stations when building the group!
As I said, I haven't played the game for years... but this discussion has made me want to pick it up again!

My technique for town coverage was always to use shuttle buses (or trams once the towns grow sufficiently) serving ungrouped stops. If "playing the system" with grouped coverage I always found that once the towns grew to around 8k population I'd have so many passengers waiting that my ratings would drop!

By the way- if you browse the TT Forums you may encounter a few familiar faces!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As I said, I haven't played the game for years... but this discussion has made me want to pick it up again!

My technique for town coverage was always to use shuttle buses (or trams once the towns grow sufficiently) serving ungrouped stops. If "playing the system" with grouped coverage I always found that once the towns grew to around 8k population I'd have so many passengers waiting that my ratings would drop!
i tend to treat the passengers as a resource to move to an airport - it is really the mail and valuables i am after - I dint seem to have any rating issues as long as i am running as many large capacity train as possible.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
i tend to treat the passengers as a resource to move to an airport - it is really the mail and valuables i am after - I dint seem to have any rating issues as long as i am running as many large capacity train as possible.
It's all about what you get out of the game- my approach was always to try and build a usable passenger network and concentrating mostly on rail. I tended to avoid building airports as I was always more interested in the railways. Some of the new(er) mods such as passengers with specific destinations added a bit more realism to that, but I've not had much chance to play with that mode active. It also means that trains won't automatically fully unload at any station which accepts passengers.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's all about what you get out of the game- my approach was always to try and build a usable passenger network and concentrating mostly on rail. I tended to avoid building airports as I was always more interested in the railways. Some of the new(er) mods such as passengers with specific destinations added a bit more realism to that, but I've not had much chance to play with that mode active. It also means that trains won't automatically fully unload at any station which accepts passengers.
I tend to focus on the freight - move it to a massive central station and then move it by boat load to a processing facility and the goods onto towns! I bring in the passenger services later.

Status
Not open for further replies.