• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opening of Energlyn and Churchill Park station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
I look forward to seeing how passenger numbers are when the station re-opens. That said the timetable is a bit eractic with gaps of either 15 minutes or 45 minutes. I would have prefered a service every 30 minutes with 2tph running non stop

Now I hope to see the long talked about station @ Brackla opened at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Eagle

Established Member
Yes, it's a completely new station; there has never been a station on this site. Anyway, is it confirmed that the station will open with the new timetable and not a couple of months later? I remember the same happened with Conon Bridge, which appeared in Scotrail's Dec 2012 timetables but didn't open till Feb 2013 (as in, "opens during the currency of this timetable").

Also I notice that it's now being referred to as Energlyn and Churchill Park (Eneu'r-glyn a Pharc Churchill). What's the reason for the longer name?

anthony263

Established Member
Yes ATW have put up posters at various stations on the Valley Lines network. When I last passed the site of Energlyn station the station looked reasonably complete

I to thought the station ws just going to be called Energlyn but I suppose its because the station is located close to Churchill Park and there has been a good amount of new development around the area.

Besides I wont complain more pasengers using the services especially off peak can be a very good thing.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Part of the station is in one settlement and the other part of the station is in the other settlement.

I wonder if they're thinking of renaming Knighton as well? :P

On a more serious note, I'm sure pointing out that the station is near Churchill Park will increase patronage. Furthermore, it seems that the double-barrelled name was being used over six months ago, according to this article on global rail news, and the BBC quotes Mark Langman referring to the area as Energlyn and Churchill Park around that time too.

davetheguard

Established Member
I note that the new station at Energlyn is included in the Winter Timetable.

Good to see that this new station is so well advanced.

It never ceases to amaze me just how long these things take: for instance the new stations that attracted DfT funding recently (Ilkeston; Kenilworth; Pye Corner etc.) were all supposed to be "shovel ready" - so why aren't they ready to open, or at the very least under construction too? So much bureaucracy, so many hoops to jump through, so much waffle, so much money spent on reports and consultants.

Have all the lessons of Workington North been lost?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Workington North was built using temporary structures. It was not built to last. All other stations have to be built more substantially. This takes time, money.

Eagle

Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me just how long these things take: for instance the new stations that attracted DfT funding recently (Ilkeston; Kenilworth; Pye Corner etc.) were all supposed to be "shovel ready" - so why aren't they ready to open, or at the very least under construction too? So much bureaucracy, so many hoops to jump through, so much waffle, so much money spent on reports and consultants.

Kenilworth is far from shovel-ready. It's on one of the routes of the Electric Spine, one that now needs to be electrified, resignalled and partially redoubled. Complicated interactions going on there that need to be planned.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Dft want Kenilworth in for Dec 16, so as long as they dont do anything silly that precludes any re-doubling Electric Spine isnt stopping that, it will be a cheap and cheerful job at best.

Muzer

Established Member
How do you get to the other platform? I can't see any pictures/reference to any footbridge.

I saw a reference that implied there was a public footpath passing underneath though - do you use this?

cmjcf

Paid a little visit yesterday. Still work going on, so thought it better not to hassle anyone by getting on-site. For those who don't know the area, the vehicle access is on the Energlyn side, which has the access to the up (northbound) platform. The underpass is indeed a public footpath.

Photos

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
At least it is more like a normal sized platform length when compared to the "mini-platform" that Conon Bridge passengers have to be happy with.

Its worth mentioning that the short platform arrangement at Conon Bridge is a regular feature of that line, rather than something out of the ordinary.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Its worth mentioning that the short platform arrangement at Conon Bridge is a regular feature of that line, rather than something out of the ordinary.

Interesting....is there any specific reason why this should be the case, as the original Inverness and Ross-shire Railway two platform Conon railway station was most certainly of longer platform lengths.

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
I was there on Saturday afternoon, a bit surprised to see it cordoned off for work (the turnaround section) but the platforms and of course station sign were looking in immaculate condition. I would have stayed a bit longer if there was access to the platforms but I came a day early plus the pressing need to get to Hook station etc... :P

cmjcf

At least it is more like a normal sized platform length when compared to the "mini-platform" that Conon Bridge passengers have to be happy with.
I'd guess that this close to the potential wiring, it'll be built for a 6-car length. As well as the new bay platform, Caerphilly now sports 6-car stop markers. I've got some pictures of the new platform (complete with temporary signage) from the same trip. Back down the line, there's been quite a bit of movement at Queen Street, though a new thread might be in order for that.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
RTT is showing the services as normal; I guess someone forgot to update NRE's LDBs to include the new station. (Station code is ECP, by the way.)
Similar at Caerphilly. Unless it has been sorted since I last looked, Up trains have no platform since a new platform was introduced and subsequent re-numbering with the Up numbered as 3. Would appear Network Rail have not up-dated their systems to indicate it's existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.