• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oyster + Barclaycard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've just had a replacement credit card from Barclaycard, and there's no Oyster on it. I did hear something about some changes a long time ago, but have never received any paperwork or emails to say it's going or what I need to do.

None of the paperwork with the card mentions Oyster either, so it doesn't say what I need to do with my old card. Ordinarily, when you get a new card, you destroy the old one - so do I now just get an ordinary Oyster card and transfer the account (it's got auto topup enabled).

Why couldn't TfL and Barclays have thought ahead and supplied an Oyster card separately with the new credit card, then a leaflet saying how to transfer things!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
I wondered what would happen to these when TfL started accepting contactless cards. There's no way cards could have been both, and Barclaycard are obviously keen to roll out contactless.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wondered what would happen to these when TfL started accepting contactless cards. There's no way cards could have been both, and Barclaycard are obviously keen to roll out contactless.

My card IS both. But I think it would use Oyster in preference.

Certainly I'm using my Oyster as normal and not running up a big bill on my credit card!

I'd be quite glad to get rid of the card anyway (Barclaycard that is) so I guess I sort the Oyster bit out, then cut up the card and tell Barclays to stick it - was always a crappy service/interest rate and my balance is currently nil, which I'd like to remain so.

Edit: Thanks furlong. Just read the FAQ, so as I'm in London Saturday I'll attempt to sort it then.

Last edited:

drbdrb

These cards had been contactless for years, so that clearly wasn't the problem.

The problem now is obtaining a non-contactless card to keep with the new Oyster card.

WillPS

Established Member
Interesting! I wonder how that worked. Perhaps it introduced itself as an Oyster card, and if that failed it would go ahead as a Visa PayWave.

transmanche

Established Member
These cards had been contactless for years, so that clearly wasn't the problem.
That was long before TfL accepted contactless cards though. And the Barcalycard OnePulse card was withdrawn (for new applicants) quite some time ago - again before TfL started to accept contactless cards. Barclaycard obviously left them to expire 'naturally' rather than replace them early.

Last edited:

drbdrb

They did not expire "naturally", Barclaycard killed them early.

Also contactless payments were accepted on buses whilst the combined contactless payment card and Oyster card was in use.

transmanche

Established Member
Also contactless payments were accepted on buses whilst the combined contactless payment card and Oyster card was in use.
I didn't say otherwise. I said they had stopped issuing OnePulse cards to new customers before CPCs were accepted on buses - so clearly Barclaycard had decided to scrap the concept of combined cards well before there was an issue.

drbdrb

Barclaycard were issuing renewal cards in January 2014, so something prompted the execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.