• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paddington to Penzance sleeper timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on NRE the departure at the London terminal is 23.45 with arrival at 08.00 in Penzance. I was just wondering if there's a stop in the journey somewhere because it can't possibly take 8hrs 15m for this journey unless i've missed something obvious?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A60K

The extra time allows for the train to run slower than day trains, and also allows for diversions if necessary without affecting public timings.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can see the timings by going to a booking site like East Coast and select to see calling points. Or look on Live Departure Boards:-

http://realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/ldb/train.aspx?C=PNZ&T=PENZNCE++&J=89989&Y=D&R=0&A=0

(This link cease to work after it arrives at Penzance)

That shows departure times.

The following link shows arrival times but will cease to work in about 40 minutes' time, once the train has departed from Paddington:

http://realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/ldb/train.aspx?C=PAD&T=PADTON++&J=89989&Y=D&R=0&A=0

seems to be delays along the route. e.g. Taunton to Exeter SD 1hr 9m. an example of one daytime service takes 30m. so i assume it waits at stations (in this case Exeter) far longer than normal?

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Tonight the down sleeper is routed via Swindon, Chippenham and Westbury and waits at Exeter from 0337- 0412 and Plymouth from 0513-0550.

The route varies most nights depending where engineering work is taking place, sometimes it goes via Bristol, other times via Yeovil, but which-ever way it goes it will always be away from Plymouth (and usually Exeter) at the same time.

The timings are also quite generous, it has just passed Westbury 33 minutes early so will wait time at Taunton as well.

The up sleeper was 33 late away from Plymouth but only 2 late at Exeter due to the waiting time, this one also gets 33 minutes to get from Reading to Twyford, it only takes 6 minutes.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
On Saturday mornings the sleeper is booked in to Paddington at 05:4x, but on Monday(?) its due at 0501(?), is it often early?

anthony263

Established Member
Everytime i have caught the sleeper from Taunton to London Paddington it has arrived early. When i travelled on it on 3rd march we went via Westbury and arrived into Reading at 04:10 and departed at 04:40 arriving into paddington at 05:20

mickey

The extra time allows for the train to run slower than day trains, and also allows for diversions if necessary without affecting public timings.

It's also slower to give people time to sleep - if it followed day-time journey times there would be no point having it.

you'd have to be a good sleeper or a bit worse for wear on booze to get much sleep whilst on the move! I know I could never do it as I can be bit of an insomniac and can only drop off to sleep within the hour if I've been up early the morning of that day. I would find it even more impossible to get to sleep while constantly wondering where the train is and how far left it has to Penzance!

mickey

you'd have to be a good sleeper or a bit worse for wear on booze to get much sleep whilst on the move! I know I could never do it as I can be bit of an insomniac and can only drop off to sleep within the hour if I've been up early the morning of that day. I would find it even more impossible to get to sleep while constantly wondering where the train is and how far left it has to Penzance!

I must admit I'm the same, but after spending a great many nights in sleeping carriages (albeit in Russia and Ukraine not the UK!) I've always thought it was just me - no one else ever seemed to have a problem with it!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
there was a woman sharing my couchette on the sleeper from Berlin to Munich last night who had brought a camping mattress (1 or 2 cm thick) to lay ontop of her bunk. Seems like a good idea considering that they aren't very comfortable.

Aictos

Established Member

I've been twice with First Scotrail, the first time in Standard and the second time in First Class - must say though I found it a lot more easier to sleep in First Class as you have the berth to yourself and you feel more comfortable especially as a solo passenger.

The first time I couldn't get to sleep at all and was made very aware of the shunting at Carstairs!

The second time, I went for a meal and a nightcap before retiring after Carstairs, worked a treat :)

Still saying all that, I intend on using the FGW service later this year some time, will be quite exciting :)

gordonthemoron

Established Member
FGW sleeper was OK IIRC, mind I was ****ed

I travel quite extensively on sleepers, almost entirely in couchettes. Trick to getting to sleep is to have a fair amount to drink beforehand

Aictos

Established Member
FGW sleeper was OK IIRC, mind I was ****ed

I travel quite extensively on sleepers, almost entirely in couchettes. Trick to getting to sleep is to have a fair amount to drink beforehand

Not to mention a good meal as well, mind you I did have a long day when I went first class back to Euston - hiked up to Authur's Seat with a beautiful all round view of Edinburgh then round the Fife Circle, back to Edinburgh off to Alloa via Stirling then back to Glasgow Queen Street and then onto Edinburgh again and finally home in luxury on the sleeper.

Still, I couldn't understand why I was the only passenger using the first class lounge out of a dozen people to have their ticket checked?

Still, I fully recommend the services to anyone wishing to use them - would be nice to do Penzance to Aberdeen on a sleeper as opposed to a Voyager.

Aictos

Established Member
I'm referring to the First Scotrail First Class Lounge in Edinburgh, I've never seen the guard on the sleepers as the attendant for your carriage books you in after they check your ticket and ask what would you like for breakfast and what time you wish to be woken if in first class.

Aictos

Established Member
They check when you board I think

Last two times I went from Edinburgh to Euston, the guard never checked the tickets but rather the attendant did when I boarded the services, the guard might very well check tickets of passengers in the seated portions though.

Status
Not open for further replies.