• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Park & Ride In North Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

freetoview33

Established Member
Does anyway have any strong ideas where a new Park & ride sites in North Bristol should be and why? I know First were proposing a A432 site at one point. I promise there is a reason which I will say later but want to know peoples views first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’ve no particular preference, more interested in what is the target market being aimed at? A P&R site on the A432 corridor would be handy for the North-eastern fringe, perhaps not so good for the North-western fringe areas.

I suppose the unknown unknown (©Donald Rumsfeld) is the wider impact of the Covid pandemic on city centre commuting patterns, and whether the outcome signifies demand for more P&R sites, or a broader review of travelling models generally.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I’ve no particular preference, more interested in what is the target market being aimed at? A P&R site on the A432 corridor would be handy for the North-eastern fringe, perhaps not so good for the North-western fringe areas.

I suppose the unknown unknown (©Donald Rumsfeld) is the wider impact of the Covid pandemic on city centre commuting patterns, and whether the outcome signifies demand for more P&R sites, or a broader review of travelling models generally.
The most logical would be somewhere near UWE to capture people who travel from the north (see the unofficial P&Rs by the motorway junctions near Chalfield and Tormarton) and it would also be able to utilise the metrobus infrastructure.

The exile

Established Member
The most logical would be somewhere near UWE to capture people who travel from the north (see the unofficial P&Rs by the motorway junctions near Chalfield and Tormarton) and it would also be able to utilise the metrobus infrastructure.
And you could put it by the railway line, build a station and maybe call it Bristol Parkway. Oh, hang on…

The exile

Established Member
Charging (though not a fortune) is quite a good idea as it discourages non P&R users from taking spaces. That charge should then be deducted from the fare...
Don't know how you'd work it with season ticket holders - unless buying a transport season ticket gives you a parking season ticket free.
Of course, Bristol Parkway was never intended as a classic (local) P&R (ie into Bristol) - the idea was for putting a station on the South Wales Main Line, thus allowing "Bristol" to be served by South Wales trains. All other gains were "nice to haves".

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How you charge for a park and ride is always a knotty one!

Whatever decision needs to be driven by data, so you need to model the flows appropriately. In from the north is perhaps the trickiest but there will be a means to do it. Intuitively, Hambrook would seem a logical spot in that nice spot bounded by the rail line, M4 and M32, with access to the Stoke Gifford bypass and the metrobus infrastructure.

volvob12

How you charge for a park and ride is always a knotty one!

Whatever decision needs to be driven by data, so you need to model the flows appropriately. In from the north is perhaps the trickiest but there will be a means to do it. Intuitively, Hambrook would seem a logical spot in that nice spot bounded by the rail line, M4 and M32, with access to the Stoke Gifford bypass and the metrobus infrastructure.
Apparently there a nice big, empty, new car park in Stoke Gifford. It’s a on the Metrobus route and a short walk from Parkway ;) There was of course a great seasonal P&R (Park and Ride) from UWE (Bristol Polytechnic) car park 20, if only they’d not built flats on it! It would have great access from the north and a quick link onto the M32 (Motorway 32) via the bus link. Oh well :lol:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Apparently there a nice big, empty, new car park in Stoke Gifford. It’s a on the Metrobus route and a short walk from Parkway ;)
Good call (hehe). I know the one you mean - I'm sure you've already imagined the fun of folks driving round Stoke Gifford bypass to get to it. Probably as many spaces at Lyde Green so that'll put a dent in the city centre traffic!

freetoview33

Established Member
From a campaigning point of view this is the current thinking.

Henbury will just be a station with a few parking spaces due to flooding issues.

The also thought is that the new Brabazon arena car park will hopefully be used as a park and ride during the day as it will have a railway station and metro bus link. It's just fully convincing YTL but that comes next month.

carlberry

Established Member
From a campaigning point of view this is the current thinking.

Henbury will just be a station with a few parking spaces due to flooding issues.

The also thought is that the new Brabazon arena car park will hopefully be used as a park and ride during the day as it will have a railway station and metro bus link. It's just fully convincing YTL but that comes next month.
To get to it means getting past the traffic to Aztec West/Bradley Stoke and Patchway to then park and catch either a train that trundles around various stations before dumping you at Temple Meads or a bus that also trundles around before getting to the M32. I cant see either being massively popular. And YTL are going to want it cleared fairly early for evening events as they're likely to impose a parking charge.

As others have said, to make a difference, it's got to be close to Hambrook or smaller sites further out which might work for somewhere near Yate (to feed into the Y services) but would struggle at Tormarton. Almondsbury might be possible onto the T1 and Falfield might be possible if it can piggy back onto an improved 62 however.

.. it's got to be close to Hambrook or smaller sites further out which might work for somewhere near Yate (to feed into the Y services) but would struggle at Tormarton. Almondsbury might be possible onto the T1 and Falfield might be possible if it can piggy back onto an improved 62 however.
Weren’t there some proposals a few years ago to build a ‘Junction 18A’ on the M4, where the A4174 Ring Road runs parallel to the motorway for a short stretch and meets the Badminton Road at a roundabout? Haven’t been out that way for quite a while, so don’t know if there is any space suitable for a Park & Ride site in the vicinity.

volvob12

Weren’t there some proposals a few years ago to build a ‘Junction 18A’ on the M4, where the A4174 Ring Road runs parallel to the motorway for a short stretch and meets the Badminton Road at a roundabout? Haven’t been out that way for quite a while, so don’t know if there is any space suitable for a Park & Ride site in the vicinity.
The proposal was for a junction by the Sainsbury’s distribution centre on the Westerleigh Road. There isn’t much room but there is of course the small P&R at Lyde Green for the m3.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
To get to it means getting past the traffic to Aztec West/Bradley Stoke and Patchway to then park and catch either a train that trundles around various stations before dumping you at Temple Meads or a bus that also trundles around before getting to the M32. I cant see either being massively popular. And YTL are going to want it cleared fairly early for evening events as they're likely to impose a parking charge.

As others have said, to make a difference, it's got to be close to Hambrook or smaller sites further out which might work for somewhere near Yate (to feed into the Y services) but would struggle at Tormarton. Almondsbury might be possible onto the T1 and Falfield might be possible if it can piggy back onto an improved 62 however.
Brabazon would be ill advised for the reasons you highlight - an overly complex faff to get to a site that then has a circuitous route to drop you a mile from the main traffic objective.

For me, Hambrook is the logical location making it easy for motorists to access the car park, and then a rapid bus link taking 20 mins into the city centre. I don't know if that will allow people to stop abandoning their cars at Tormarton or Falfield though as I suspect that it's people from disparate locations and they've had a journey to reach that point so a three stage journey for some isn't a realistic prospect; a small P&R in those locations wouldn't get through the planning regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.