• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Patreon Website

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Patreon appears to be a subscription only version of YouTube. A YouTube channel I follow has moved to Patreon and now asks for a subscription to view its content.Has anyone any experience of this company and is it safe?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buzby

Yep, as do I. Patreon manage the payments on behalf of the content creator- YT still host the videos of course, but they remain hidden from non-Patreon subscribers. You are probably promised early access and exclusive content, the former is then (usually) released on ‘normal’ YT thereafter.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Patreon is pretty safe, i have a subscription on there.
Thanks,
Yep, as do I. Patreon manage the payments on behalf of the content creator- YT still host the videos of course, but they remain hidden from non-Patreon subscribers. You are probably promised early access and exclusive content, the former is then (usually) released on ‘normal’ YT thereafter.
This Creator still advertises on YT but the content is now solely on Patreon.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Patreon appears to be a subscription only version of YouTube. A YouTube channel I follow has moved to Patreon and now asks for a subscription to view its content.Has anyone any experience of this company and is it safe?
I have several subscriptions there. Perfectly safe although I wouldn't pay to watch you tube type stuff tbh

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Are the subscriptions an annual payment or do you need to register a bank card with them ?
Either or for mine - one of each. I chose the cheapest option for both

Guess it is up to the "talent" what they offer.

It is a widely used platform for "membership" podcasts. (They offer a usual free pod and other items /bonus via the patron channel)

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Either or for mine - one of each. I chose the cheapest option for both

Guess it is up to the "talent" what they offer.

It is a widely used platform for "membership" podcasts. (They offer a usual free pod and other items /bonus via the patron channel)
Thanks,I`ll check the creators site.

Trackman

Established Member
To answer to your question, Patreon has been going for years and is totally trustworthy.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Annual subscriptions have been introduced recently but creators have to opt in to them.

I use Patreon for the “supporter” scheme for my website - it saves me the hassle of dealing with payments myself.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Probably a reaction to the cratering ad revenue on YT.
YouTube CPMs are not "cratering", but rather have steadily increased beyond the rate of inflation as it has become a more valuable and safer platform for advertisers over time.

However, some topics cannot be monetised, and Patreon is a refuge for those creators.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
YouTube CPMs are not "cratering", but rather have steadily increased beyond the rate of inflation as it has become a more valuable and safer platform for advertisers over time.

However, some topics cannot be monetised, and Patreon is a refuge for those creators.
Interesting, that wasn't the impression I had but perhaps that's a function of following some creators who fall into that category of not being able to monetise! :lol:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I have a Patreon subscription - I subscribe to Gareth Dennis channel

--------- although I wouldn't pay to watch you tube type stuff tbh
However, imho, certain YouTube stuff is fantastic. For example, I love the way the PWI put some of their lectures on YouTube platform and I think they are amazing.

Last edited: