• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino v Super Voyager - your advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, some simple advice would be welcomed.

On my infrequent trips from Euston to Manchester I am usually able to secure a realtively cheap 1st class ticket which includes a nice breakfast on the morning departure. I've got used to the quirks of Virgin's Pendolino seating policy so generally find myself an unreserved seat around a table for four which pretty much always remains otherwise empty.

I'll be travelling to Chester in a couple of weeks which I am informed is on a Super Voyager - it's the 08.10 departure I believe.

Does anyone know:

- Is there a similar cooked breakfast provided in 1st?
- What quirks and oddities can I expect re seating. I think I'm in carriage E (not 100% sure) but would appreciate learning if there is anything noteworthy.

For example, I rarely sit where allocated on the Pendolino as this is often in a single seat/near the toliet/not facing direction of travel etc and there's always loads of space elsewhere around tables of 4. Will this likely be the case on the Super Voyager?

Thanks for any words of wisdom you might have!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
Only 1 coach of FC in a SuperVoyager, so less choice of seats. Chester provides a good number of FC passengers. Don't expect to get much choice. Also most seats are airline rather than round tables, and the breakfast will be a soggy bacon roll I think.

Enjoy the downgrade.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seating plan here:

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/assets/pdf/global/seating-plan.pdf

Hi, I've worked this train many times, it's very busy as far as MKC then virtually empty 'till Crewe where it fills up again. My advise is be first in the cue when boarding starts if you want to secure the seat of your choice.

lm321412

Thanks Pumbaa, appreciated.

Looks like a snack at Euston might be needed!

There is a smaller breakfast that is now on Super Voyagers and is almost as good as the Pendolino breakfast, but not quite.

Often, you get a more attentive service on 221s, compared with Pendolinos.

Dreadnought

I thought that some of the N Wales voyagers actually used coach D as a second 1st class coach! Certainly have seen it set up this way a couple of times when travelling from Crewe to Chester and return in the past.

MCR247

Established Member
You wouldn't want to use it though over Coach E!

Thanks for all your advice everyone. It does sound like it might be a slight culture shock compared to the vast empty spaces of the Pendolino FC!!

Oddly enough, the business travel agent we use at work advised that it would be a Pendolino on the return leg from Chester (14.30ish I recall). But it's only ever a cheap off peak single for the return leg so I'll just hope for a quiet spot.

Crossover

Established Member
From Chester the only southbound Pendolino is the Saturday only drag which heads through Chester around 1600-1630 (sorry, can't remember exact time)
Other than that it will be Voyagers if travelling with Virgin from Chester to Crewe and onward to London on the same train

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Oddly enough, the business travel agent we use at work advised that it would be a Pendolino on the return leg from Chester (14.30ish I recall).

Unless you're travelling on a Saturday, at 1634, that's nonsense. That's the only Pendolino service; it's "dragged" by a Class 57 loco as Chester is not electrified (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.