• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Peter C's Trip Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not the most pleasant day out there! You're right with the Malverns & North Cotswold line, we have it much better than they do on the Chiltern route!

I have to say I felt for the guy with the cycle, having to stand with it next to the lavatory can't have been fun! No one stays there through choice and I can only imagine the designated space was already crammed with other people.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
It was nice enough - I mean there's not many ways you can get "standing on a platform" wrong - but the trains into and out of Birmingham weren't ideal, though.
Well of course - I realise my original post was probably a bit scathing! The chap with the bike probably didn't want to have to be standing there. Makes you wonder why they put four coaches on such a service in the first place: I seem to remember there might actually have been two people with bikes in our coach; one sat in the doorway opposite to the one I stood in, on the floor in front of his bike. From what I hear, the bike storage spaces on an IET aren't ideal (I've not spent a lot of time looking at them at all, really), but surely some space is better than no space whatsoever.

-Peter :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It did sound a bit scathing, yes, which is what got me replying! The space on IETs is not great, unless you have a road cycle, then it's not too bad.

Peter C

Established Member
My apologies - that wasn't the intention! I don't cycle myself, so I've not really got any clue when it comes to specifics I'm afraid. I've read a few cases online of people having issues with getting bikes onto trains - though quite how widespread this is, I don't quite know?

-Peter

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My apologies - that wasn't the intention! I don't cycle myself, so I've not really got any clue when it comes to specifics I'm afraid. I've read a few cases online of people having issues with getting bikes onto trains - though quite how widespread this is, I don't quite know?

-Peter

No worries, I realised it wasn't intended as anti-cyclist! Some trains are a pain to load cycles onto, others aren't too bad. I once had an Avanti dispatcher at Rugby try to kick me out of the space on a 350, the poor soul (not the first opinion on her but you don't need me to go on about that!) was adamant it was only for wheelchairs, then that I was not allowed to sit with my cycle on the fold-down seats. Very uninformed woman...

Peter C

Established Member
Oh dear - that really doesn't sound fun at all. I assume it all got solved in the end? I've only been on one 350 but a fair few 450s, I assume they have the same sort of arrangement with the fold-down seats sort of near the toilet?

-Peter

EDIT: Just looked it up and found the answer to my question - what a wonderful thing Google is :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like it is the same, yes. I've not been on a 450 in quite a few months, July last year was my last one actually, so vague memory tells me that is correct.

The 350 incident I mentioned, it was on a journey from Birmingham to London, I was already on the train and I think she was just anti-cyclist to be honest. She was all huffed and puffed up afterwards, probably because she must have eventually realised she was in the wrong!

Peter C

Established Member
That really doesn't sound like a good experience all round: one of those where you'd like to think it doesn't happen all that often!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was a good read Peter. I do like the look of Moor Street but I don’t think as an adult I’ve ever been on the platforms. I’ve walked past the street entrance and admired the GWR look of the place though.

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you very much @Cowley - Moor Street is definitely worth visiting: the detail that's been put into it all is really something. Plus, one thing I noticed was how clean a lot of it was: particularly platforms three and four (which are the terminating platforms at the station). All you need is a 'Castle' or something to pull up and you've got a scene from a GWR publicity poster!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you very much @Cowley - Moor Street is definitely worth visiting: the detail that's been put into it all is really something. Plus, one thing I noticed was how clean a lot of it was: particularly platforms three and four (which are the terminating platforms at the station). All you need is a 'Castle' or something to pull up and you've got a scene from a GWR publicity poster!

-Peter

There was a steam loco parked in one of the bays for quite a few years from what I remember. Maybe an ex Barry condition 28xx?

Peter C

Established Member
There was a steam loco parked in one of the bays for quite a few years from what I remember. Maybe an ex Barry condition 28xx?
I think you're right - I've just looked into it and turns out it was 2885. I think after it left, they must have brought that platform (three) into use, and then platform four as well (though I may well be wrong) - I want to say there's also at least one sign on or near the concourse area now saying "platform 5" but you'd be lucky to get anything other than a weedkilling train off that... :lol:

-Peter

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Correct about p5, the steam loco was at Moor Street for quite some time after p3 and p4 opened. I don't know when it moved though. I do wonder if p5 is ever likely to come into use one day!

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks @Techniquest - very interesting. I find it somewhat amusing that they've put in a "Platform 5" sign marking it; though I suppose that's more for show than anything else, isn't it!

-Peter

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks @Techniquest - very interesting. I find it somewhat amusing that they've put in a "Platform 5" sign marking it; though I suppose that's more for show than anything else, isn't it!

-Peter

Got to be for show, definitely! I guess the look of the station would not have felt right otherwise.

I forgot to mention, the lounge you visited is indeed really nice (there's a similar sort of place in Worcester, I've not yet been and whenever it's open and I'm there, time is either against me or I'm all sweaty and so on in cycling gear, doesn't feel right to go then!) but that one at Moor Street significantly underfilled my coffee cup when I went there a while ago, so I don't rate them. Beautiful place, but the service is awful in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.