• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PF/UKRT Western Champion 'One Way Wizzo' Railtour 14/4/24

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westernpunk

do you not think the Class 52 horn does such a mighty locomotive a bit of a disservice though

Although im sure they sounded different in br days, or perhaps thats just me

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent! :lol:

Must admit that I’m a bit partial to the high pitched squeak of a Western horn. I guess a bit like fans of Donald Trump, I’ll excuse a class 52 of any poor behaviour… ;)

thedbdiboy

Here are a couple of pictures I took near Paddington

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_121954539.jpg
    PXL_20240414_121954539.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240414_125441946.jpg
    PXL_20240414_125441946.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Must admit that I’m a bit partial to the high pitched squeak of a Western horn. I guess a bit like fans of Donald Trump, I’ll excuse a class 52 of any poor behaviour… ;)
You must have noticed that I agreed with the critisism of my beloved Deltics for simliar shortcomings Mr C although like your good self I would always excuse them too :D

(btw westerns do come an exceedingly close second favourite!)

ac6000cw

Established Member
Great trip D1015 seemed to run fine, everyone where I sat also enjoined the journey.

Seeing the loco running light at New Street brings back memories of trainspotting days there in the early/mid 1970s, hoping the lunchtime arrival from Paddington was Western-hauled and (if pocket money allowed), buying a ticket to Solihull to enjoy the noise of a pair of Maybach V12s (and the gear changes) from an open window at the front of the train :D.

StephenHunter

Established Member
You must have noticed that I agreed with the critisism of my beloved Deltics for simliar shortcomings Mr C although like your good self I would always excuse them too :D

(btw westerns do come an exceedingly close second favourite!)
Speaking of shortcomings, I'm not the world's biggest fan of the IC70 seats. But they're brilliant compared to what I had on the 390 back to London!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
You can actually hear a very slight change in pitch as the two Mark 1s pass compared to the Mark 2s.
Mk1 construction (a load bearing frame + non-stress body) differs to Mk2 onwards (load bearing monocoque) and so I suspect that influences the difference in how vibrations are transmitted through them and translated into the noise one hears.

When I rode BR excursions, latter 1970s and 1980s, the Mk1 catering vehicles - even from the inside - always had a more "hollow" sound when running, when compared to the seated vehicles; the latter types absorbing more sound waves, than the "cavern" of the catering cars.

Last edited: