• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Places To Watch Fast Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

My three and a half year old Grandson will be coming over from Germany to stay with us for ten days at the start of November. As German is his first language (although his English is coming on a treat :)) I'm trying to think of things that we can do that he will understand. My grasp of the German language is pretty good and my Dad and sisters are fluent but it does mean that he will struggle to interact with other children.

However, little Max loves trains especially fast ones and I'm looking for good vantage points in the SE, in particular HS1 if possible. Any ideas anyone? My parents still live in the Midlands, my Dad near Lichfield and my Mum next to the MML between Ambergate and Chesterfield and we will also be paying them a visit so any ideas in those areas would be good too.

I know the obvious answer is simply to stand on a platform however I don't want to be bothering rail staff where there are barriers / gates and it would also be nice to sit in a warm car whilst we wait for trains! One last thing; any suggestions for locations with children friendly pubs would certainly be very well received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redbutton

Well for what it's worth, I see parents with children (usually little boys but an encouraging number of girls too) watching trains from station platforms and footbridges all the time. Platform staff don't mind and it's officially allowed as long as you don't stray into any non-public areas.

You mentioned the MML, I think that would be most interesting because of the variety.

Anywhere in south London you're just going to see Networkers, Electrostars, Desiros, and 455s at lower speeds. Maybe the occasional freight. Though I did pass by a WCR Class 37 the other day near Clapham Junction, so you do get surprises occasionally.

Have you thought about going for a ride on a preserved railway?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Anywhere in south London you're just going to see Networkers, Electrostars, Desiros, and 455s at lower speeds. Maybe the occasional freight. Though I did pass by a WCR Class 37 the other day near Clapham Junction, so you do get surprises occasionally.

Are our trains not worthy ? <D

My Networker got to 75mph the other day and I'm pretty sure my 319 hit 80mph in SE London and 100mph over the other side of the water.

Lots of freight over here as well as the MPV's out now and an occasional steamer out of Vic pulling the pullman coaches.

Yep totally boring with low speed units and nothing much in the way of variety of units.

G'day everyone,

My three and a half year old Grandson will be coming over from Germany to stay with us for ten days at the start of November. As German is his first language (although his English is coming on a treat :)) I'm trying to think of things that we can do that he will understand. My grasp of the German language is pretty good and my Dad and sisters are fluent but it does mean that he will struggle to interact with other children.

However, little Max loves trains especially fast ones and I'm looking for good vantage points in the SE, in particular HS1 if possible. Any ideas anyone? My parents still live in the Midlands, my Dad near Lichfield and my Mum next to the MML between Ambergate and Chesterfield and we will also be paying them a visit so any ideas in those areas would be good too.

I know the obvious answer is simply to stand on a platform however I don't want to be bothering rail staff where there are barriers / gates and it would also be nice to sit in a warm car whilst we wait for trains! One last thing; any suggestions for locations with children friendly pubs would certainly be very well received!

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Lichfield Trent Valley!

redbutton

Are our trains not worthy ? <D

My Networker got to 75mph the other day and I'm pretty sure my 319 hit 80mph in SE London and 100mph over the other side of the water.

Lots of freight over here as well as the MPV's out now and an occasional steamer out of Vic pulling the pullman coaches.

Yep totally boring with low speed units and nothing much in the way of variety of units.

And I get to 85mph in a 377, but I was thinking that's not quite "high speed" by German standards.

Though, you're right about the variety, I'm probably a bit desensitised since I'm out there every day. It's all new to a visitor.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Pangbourne.

Plenty of trains, both freight and passenger, going through at a decent pace. And a couple of riverside pubs for boat/duck/swan watching as well.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Doncaster area is good for high speed trains. Hull Trains, Grand Central, Virgin, Cross Country and even a few fast East Midland trains run through it. All intercity type services. They are also slower services like Trans Pennine and Northern and lots of freight.
So you'll see many companies and different types of trains.
It's unbeatable as a trainspotting location.

James Wake

I saw 2 Pendos through LTV on the Thursday of my ALR, great speed on them. I had changed from the 1405 CrossCity arrival for the 1413 towards Euston. On Saturday though I sped through Lichfield on a Pendolino. Another bet if you want fast EMUs is Three Bridges, the Brighton fasts pass through at least at 80mph.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Or the footbridge over Salfords Station can be good as well, most trains out of Gatwick will be up to speed by then.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw 2 Pendos through LTV on the Thursday of my ALR, great speed on them. I had changed from the 1405 CrossCity arrival for the 1413 towards Euston. On Saturday though I sped through Lichfield on a Pendolino. Another bet if you want fast EMUs is Three Bridges, the Brighton fasts pass through at least at 80mph.
Or the footbridge over Salfords Station can be good as well, most trains out of Gatwick will be up to speed by then.

you mean Tamworth in example one surely

Minilad

Established Member
I was going to suggest Tamworth. As you get fast trains on both levels. and lots of freight trains at speed. And local stopping services too.
If you stand by the stairs on the high level platforms you can see everything

backontrack

Established Member
I was going to suggest Tamworth. As you get fast trains on both levels. and lots of freight trains at speed. And local stopping services too.
If you stand by the stairs on the high level platforms you can see everything
For similar reasons, Retford. York would also be very good.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Have you thought about going for a ride on a preserved railway?

Yes and when they were over last weekend we went to the Severn Valley Railway Steam Gala. Max loved every minute of it, especially the smoke and steam not to mention whistles and even the semaphore signals.

As you say trains in our neck of the woods tend to be pretty pedestrian for obvious reasons but nevertheless they do a vital job!
For similar reasons, Retford. York would also be very good.

I concur however Max is only over for ten days and its a long way to travel just to see trains. Good suggestion though :)
Lichfield Trent Valley!

In all honesty I didn't realize just how frequent the trains are through there. Assuming that they must be pushing 125mph and of course tilting equals laughter and excitement if you're three and a half!
Pangbourne.

Plenty of trains, both freight and passenger, going through at a decent pace. And a couple of riverside pubs for boat/duck/swan watching as well.

Many thanks for this Mr Roebuck. Its pretty close to Richmond and in terms of trains will be the first place we try. Thanks again :)
Doncaster area is good for high speed trains. Hull Trains, Grand Central, Virgin, Cross Country and even a few fast East Midland trains run through it. All intercity type services. They are also slower services like Trans Pennine and Northern and lots of freight.
So you'll see many companies and different types of trains.
It's unbeatable as a trainspotting location.

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated however Doncaster will be a long journey just to see trains. In a couple of years time when he's old enough to appreciate the museums in York we may well take the train through Doncaster.
Rainham Marshes RSPB reserve... right next to the elevated section... ;)

Many thanks Peter! We can kill two birds in one stone (not literally!) as his parents are keen that he learns to love nature. This will be our second port of call I think.

Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
On November 8th, St Albans South Signal Box by the City Station (the one on the Midland Main Line) will be open 2-5pm. We have HSTs and Meridians passing by at up to a 100+mph, and from the 1st floor of the box there are good views of them, besides the frequent service of Thameslink EMUs.
In addition there are semaphore signals in the garden and bells that can be worked by visitors (of any age) as well as the demos of how the box used to be worked in the 1970s. FREE Entry - donations always welcomed, of course!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
On November 8th, St Albans South Signal Box by the City Station (the one on the Midland Main Line) will be open 2-5pm. We have HSTs and Meridians passing by at up to a 100+mph, and from the 1st floor of the box there are good views of them, besides the frequent service of Thameslink EMUs.
In addition there are semaphore signals in the garden and bells that can be worked by visitors (of any age) as well as the demos of how the box used to be worked in the 1970s. FREE Entry - donations always welcomed, of course!

I've visited the wonderful signal box on two previous occasions and I'm hoping to be over on the 8th with my son and Grandson if we get chance. Little Max is very much 'hands on' and I know my son will find it interesting too. If you hear a broad German accent there is a good chance that will be us! Thanks for the heads up!

Bevan Price

Established Member
Lichfield Trent Valley has been mentioned. Other suggestions in the preferred areas:--

Rugeley Trent Valley, Duffield or Dronfield are all unstaffed, with no barriers, and all see several fast trains each hour. Just keep him well away from platform edges. You could also take him for short rides to/from any of these stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.