• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Planning Wigan - Rome next Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
My itinery is very basic but from looking at the Interrail map, I would like to do:

Wigan
London
Paris
Marseilles (stay overnight)
Monaco
Genoa (stay overnight)
Pisa
Florence (stay overnight)
Rome (stay overnight or two nights)

then fly back.

I've read some information on the man at seat 61's website but I'd like to know whether it is worth buying an Interrail ticket or buying separate tickets or something inbetween the two.

Also, I'd like to know more about the supplementary fares that are mentioned in the website and which sections of my itinery they would affect.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If you're booking in advance, the Italian sections can be very cheap on IC/Freccia services, way cheaper than the corresponding day's proportion of an interrail, e.g. I've just looked up Genova-Pisa €9.90 on a Frecciabianca on 6 Dec.
And for Italian regional services, the standard fares (pay on the day) are also pretty cheap, e.g. Genova-Pisa €13.40 on regional trains tomorrow.

Veteran Member
Doubt interrail will be worth it.
And (to be totally unrealistic, I realise) I would add several nights to your trip to do the places en route anything like justice.

Gathursty

Established Member
Doubt interrail will be worth it.
And (to be totally unrealistic, I realise) I would add several nights to your trip to do the places en route anything like justice.
Yes. I need to look further into what I want to see in these cities. At least I know there is only one thing I want to see in Pisa!! ;)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
.... At least I know there is only one thing I want to see in Pisa!! ;)
I'd be inclined * to disagree - plenty of museums etc. And most Italian cities are great for just wandering round and taking in the architecture. And if you get fed up with the old, there's always the PPM - Pisa people mover - at the station http://www.discovertuscany.com/blog/people-mover-pisa-airport-train-set-open-4022/

*Old joke
- What did the leaning tower of Pisa say to Big Ben?
- If you've got the time, I've got the inclination.
Badum-tish

Status
Not open for further replies.