• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Podcast: Signals to Danger - Railway disasters in the UK

Trestrol

Very interesting roundup Dan, especially the bit on WCR. There credibility is very suspect when they talk about how safe there operations are considering how many time there derogation has been suspended. Not too mention the Wooton Basset incident.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Will definitely be giving this one a listen, given it's promixity to me and the fact I've passed through that junction - still largely the same as it was in 1989, contrasting markedly with how Newton Junction has changed since 1991 - countless times.
Finally got around to listening to this episode a few nights ago, and it was a compelling, absorbing listen. I had no idea (unless I somehow overlooked it) that the driver of the Milngavie-Springburn 303 (the train that ran through the red platform signal) later sued for damages against BR.

I also listened to the Ufton Nevert, Eccles (1984) & Hixon episodes as well. The pictures of the damage done to 45147 at Eccles always make me shudder.

The James St episode I'll need to steel myself for though. As @Cowley noted in a previous post, it's beyond tragic and I can't begin to imagine what it was like for the poor girl's family, friends and everyone else who got caught up in it.

Dan, I've a few incidents in mind that may you may interested in covering if it's at all possible, but I think you mentioned in one episode that of these may be getting a episode to itself in the future:

• Tay Bridge (December 1879)
  • Armagh (June 1889)
  • Moorgate (February 1975)
  • Newton, South Lanarkshire (July 1991)
  • Greenock (June 1994)
  • Largs (July 1995)
  • Falls of Cruachan (June 2010)

Given it's far-reaching impact and legacy that's still felt to this day, the Tay Bridge collapse and it's aftermath may merit similar treatment to Ladbroke Grove and Carmont: a two/three parter. Not sure if light rail/metro systems are in your remit though, which would discount Moorgate.