• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pontypool & New Inn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Hi

I've been wondering as this seems a very little used station; every time I've passed through only about one person gets on or off.

Does anyone know which services are slightly better used by pontypool customers, and where most of the passengers go?

Cheers

Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
tbh I find it has such a poor service, I probably get asked for it on a shift maybe once or twice?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Peak time trains through Pontypool and New Inn certainly see a fair few get on or off. Never kept track of it when I used the line in past years but never went through with just one person getting on or off.

Services aren't that bad there, 2 hourly on the Holyhead to Cardiff and vice-versa services (with calls in other services during the peaks) isn't what I'd call a bad service.

Now Melksham, however, is an entirely different matter. That truely is one of the worst served stations in the land.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Before Beeching, when the station was called Pontypool Road, it was a very busy place. There have been a few articles in Backtrack about the station and loco depot there.

It's quite sad to see it now. No facilities, just a bus shelter. The location of the station doesn;t help. It's some way away from Pontypool itself, although closer to New Inn, which was only added to the name in the 1990's IIRC.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Pilning, good point. Make Melksham the second worst served station in the land then. If not, the Western Region.

Status
Not open for further replies.