• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Poole to Edinburgh Via York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techlance

Hi this is the first time I have done this and came across this through twitter. I am wondering if I were to purchase a Super Off Peak return to Edinburgh using my 16-25 Young Person Railcard.

Leaving early 26th March

Coming Back 31st March

Its about £103 super off peak return.

What i want to do is break my journey at York on the way up to have a look around the National Railway Museum. I have looked into this but have got very confused by all the Terms And Conditions.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

This seems to be a great forum and have learnt a lot reading through the various forums. (I hope i have done this Right)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

General Zod

The Off Peak Return [SVR] ( not London) costs £105.45 - more expensive than the any permitted Super Off Peak [SSR] - what advantages does the former offer if any ? Is there any reason in particular for the SVR being more expensive than the SSR ? Being able to use the SVR at an earlier time immediately springs to mind but wouldn't Poole - Edinburgh ( not London) be priced by Cross Country who have altered the rules so SVRs from the South to Scotland and the North East are no longer valid before 0930 ?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I agree it's fine. On resuming your journey, you'll need to bear in mind that the ticket has evening peak restrictions on trains leaving London. This means you can't board trains which left Kings Cross between approx 1500 and 1915 (on mobile now but sure someone can post the full restriction) - i.e. East Coast trains leaving York between about 1700 and 2100. Any train not from London is fine though (i.e. CrossCountry or TPE).

The Off Peak Return [SVR] ( not London) costs £105.45 - more expensive than the any permitted Super Off Peak [SSR] - what advantages does the former offer if any ? Is there any reason in particular for the SVR being more expensive than the SSR ? Being able to use the SVR at an earlier time immediately springs to mind but wouldn't Poole - Edinburgh ( not London) be priced by Cross Country who have altered the rules so SVRs from the South to Scotland and the North East are no longer valid before 0930 ?

The SSR will be valid leaving London after 1117 IIRC, so if there's an XC train (0930 or later) which gets you there before the first permitted train from London, then that could be an advantage. I doubt there is though.

As for why it's more expensive- you've answered your question. Priced by XC.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Poole-Edinburgh (Super) Off Peak fares (with Railcard)
SVR Rte: Not via London £105.45 (Valid at or after 0930)
SSR Rte: +Any Permitted £103.45 (Valid any train between Poole & London; restrictions apply between London & Edinburgh)
SVR Rte +Any Permitted £182.80 (Valid any train between Poole & London, restrictions apply between London & Edinburgh)

Techlance

I agree it's fine. On resuming your journey, you'll need to bear in mind that the ticket has evening peak restrictions on trains leaving London. This means you can't board trains which left Kings Cross between approx 1500 and 1915 (on mobile now but sure someone can post the full restriction) - i.e. East Coast trains leaving York between about 1700 and 2100. Any train not from London is fine though (i.e. CrossCountry or TPE).

The SSR will be valid leaving London after 1117 IIRC, so if there's an XC train (0930 or later) which gets you there before the first permitted train from London, then that could be an advantage. I doubt there is though.

As for why it's more expensive- you've answered your question. Priced by XC.

Excellent Many Thanks The train i want to catch from York to Edinburgh will be a XC Thank you really has cleared it up. Just confusing with all the T&C's

Thanks

To All Above

Status
Not open for further replies.