• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pre-nationalisation schemes that never happened

Helvellyn

Established Member
LSWR quadrupling of East Putney line
- I suspect this would have been lost to rationalisation in the 60s-80s.
Not heard of this one. Wonder if the aim was to segregate District Line services from the LSWR ones. However, given there would have been conflicts at Wimbledon I can only speculate that it was to shift all ECS moves to/from Wimbledon Park off the Mainline and/or possibly link to the West Croydon services (high level / low level platforms?).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_belle

Not heard of this one. Wonder if the aim was to segregate District Line services from the LSWR ones. However, given there would have been conflicts at Wimbledon I can only speculate that it was to shift all ECS moves to/from Wimbledon Park off the Mainline and/or possibly link to the West Croydon services (high level / low level platforms?).
I'll check the book when I get a chance (LSWR in the 20th century). I believe you are right that the tracks would be segregated, with the (Metropolitan) District Railway tracks to the west. Wimbledon station would also have been enlarged. I believe the only part of this scheme that came to fruition was an extra (M)DR platform at Wimbledon.

The junction at Wimbledon would have been tricky. But I suppose that the 1936 flyover may have been built west of Wimbledon station if this scheme went ahead? That way the tracks through Wimbledon would be converted to pairing by use.

Bevan Price

Established Member
A decade later there was serious government and industry interest in electrification that led to a government report that recommended electrification at 1500V DC - IIRC it was this that led to Woodhead.
Not only that - Woodhead was seen as a testbed for mainline electrification at 1500V DC. If successful, the ECML was to follow, probably starting with Kings Cross to (at least) Doncaster. WW2 delayed Woodhead and stopped everything else.

Snow1964

Established Member
The LSWR stopped 2 widening schemes during the First World War

Clapham Junction to Guildford new line Junction would have been 6 track, many bridges were rebuilt, and new flyover added at Hampton Court Junction. Many of the under bridges between New Malden and Earlsfield were widened, although some decks weren't installed and I think all the brick arch bridges from Clapham cutting to Earlsfield have triple spans each of which can take 2 tracks. Even the 1020s bypass for Kingston (now A3) had extra spans for the 5th and 6th track as scheme was still paused rather than killed.

The other was quadrupling from Shawford to Northam (Southampton), even today can see where Wide Lane bridge (which replaced a level crossing) was built to span 4 tracks and Swaything station had some buildings set back as was expected to turn both platforms into islands and have extra track at the back.

Magdalia

Established Member
Not only that - Woodhead was seen as a testbed for mainline electrification at 1500V DC. If successful, the ECML was to follow, probably starting with Kings Cross to (at least) Doncaster. WW2 delayed Woodhead and stopped everything else.

Woodhead electrification was for moving coal over the Pennines, it was not primarily for express passenger operation. In 1947 the LNER planned to use diesels to replace steam on ECML expresses, not electrification. Any further main line electrification, if the LNER could have afforded it, would probably been on the Great Central to Annesley and Woodford Halse for moving the then extensive coal traffic.

Woodhead electrification was for moving coal over the Pennines, it was not primarily for express passenger operation. In 1947 the LNER planned to use diesels to replace steam on ECML expresses, not electrification. Any further main line electrification, if the LNER could have afforded it, would probably been on the Great Central to Annesley and Woodford Halse for moving the then extensive coal traffic.
The LNER was very pro-electrification in the 30s and had been encouraged by the success of the MSJ & A 1500V DC scheme in Manchester (jointly with the LMS). It did get as far as commissioning reports for the ECML to Leeds / York , GE to Norwich and London Suburban, but it was always financially precarious and would have required substantial government assistance. There were no plans to electrify the GC Extension.

Yes, Woodhead was primarly about coal traffic, reducing working expenses and dealing with the notorious tunnels and precipitous Worsborough incline. It did have an eye to passenger operation as well, however, for the Fallowfield Loop round to Manchester Central was included in the original scheme, and indeed the station canopies en-route were cut back in anticipation. A second stage envisaged extension to Liverpoool via the CLC (jointly with the LMS). A third rather more vague phase envisaged linking up with ECML at Retford or Grantham (via Nottingham).

The post-war world was somewhat different with main-line dieselisation becoming an option, using 'twins' like the LMS.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The LNER was very pro-electrification in the 30s and had been encouraged by the success of the MSJ & A 1500V DC scheme in Manchester (jointly with the LMS). It did get as far as commissioning reports for the ECML to Leeds / York , GE to Norwich and London Suburban, but it was always financially precarious and would have required substantial government assistance. There were no plans to electrify the GC Extension.

Yes, Woodhead was primarly about coal traffic, reducing working expenses and dealing with the notorious tunnels and precipitous Worsborough incline. It did have an eye to passenger operation as well, however, for the Fallowfield Loop round to Manchester Central was included in the original scheme, and indeed the station canopies en-route were cut back in anticipation. A second stage envisaged extension to Liverpoool via the CLC (jointly with the LMS). A third rather more vague phase envisaged linking up with ECML at Retford or Grantham (via Nottingham).

The post-war world was somewhat different with main-line dieselisation becoming an option, using 'twins' like the LMS.
The LNER was no stranger to 1500V overhead electrification, having inherited the Newport/Shildon line from the NER. The infrasructure was life expired in 1935 and not renewed (curiously, given the number of "New Works" schemes elsewhere), but the locomotives were mothballed with a view to using as them as banking engines on the Woodhead line. However, because of the delay in completing that project, the locomotives were nearly 40 years old by the time it was complete, and had been standing idle and uncared-for in sidings for the previous ten years, so they were scrapped.

simonsays

The original order for 27 EM2 Express locos illustrates this point nicely.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
A second stage envisaged extension to Liverpoool via the CLC (jointly with the LMS).
This idea was still floating around as late as 1965, when the Major Trunk Routes Report suggested it as part of its justification for retaining Woodhead while closing Hope Valley and Peak Forest.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

I wonder what would have been the fate of the GC if they electrified to WH. Perhaps the GC would have been chosen as the main route to the Midlands and Sheffield rather than the Midland.

Western Lord

I wonder what would have been the fate of the GC if they electrified to WH. Perhaps the GC would have been chosen as the main route to the Midlands and Sheffield rather than the Midland.
I don't know how many times it has to be stated that the GC "London Extension" never reached London. Access to it's meagre four platform terminus was via the Metropolitan Line, with the later option of the GW/GC joint line via High Wycombe, which route was nearly ten miles longer to Leicester than the Midland.

D6130

Established Member
I don't know how many times it has to be stated that the GC "London Extension" never reached London. Access to it's meagre four platform terminus was via the Metropolitan Line, with the later option of the GW/GC joint line via High Wycombe, which route was nearly ten miles longer to Leicester than the Midland.
Also the GC didn't serve anywhere of major importance between Aylesbury and Rugby, whereas the Midland served Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough and Kettering between London and Leicester. It was a no-brainer really!

The exile

Established Member
...........although the M stood for mixed traffic. The EM1s were better suited for freight though.
Was this an accounting / approval fiction, though, in the same way as classifying the Bulleid Pacifics as MT locos - during the war and austerity that followed, the chances of getting approval for a purely express passenger loco were diminishingly small.

E27007

Electrification of Crewe to Carlisle via Shapin the 1920s under ex L&Y CME George Hughes and ex L&Y Electrification Engineer Henry Eoghan O'Brien, all too much for the LMSR, both men retired or left the LMSR with the project crushed

O'Brien Electrification Engineer

Sad Sprinter

Established Member

I’m aware of the routing of the London Extension. Well yes it is longer but it’s straighter than the Midland and with electric traction could have been as fast. Marylebone could have been expanded by building on the neighbouring goods yards. Suburban traffic could have been routed to Paddington or down the Metropolitan line to save space.

E27007

The original order for 27 EM2 Express locos illustrates this point nicely.
The EM1 loco design was under Gresley, the EM2 locos were a fresh start under BR , the original LNER intention for Woodhead passenger locos were not the EM2 design, the LNER requirements were put out to tender, the LNER may have had coupling-rod crocodiles from private builders, the original BR order was for 27 of the EM2 loco, the paperwork for the reduction to 7examples has the signature of J F "Freddie" Harrison

AndrewE

Established Member
Electrification of Crewe to Carlisle via Shapin the 1920s under ex L&Y CME George Hughes and ex L&Y Electrification Engineer Henry Eoghan O'Brien, all too much for the LMSR, both men retired or left the LMSR with the project crushed

O'Brien Electrification Engineer
Wasn't there a 1930's scheme to quadruple the WCML as far as Weaver Junction too? I can't find a reference to it now. Sadly most of the quadruple track that did get built has now been removed.
Widening Hartford station cutting would have been a big job...

Rescars

I’m aware of the routing of the London Extension. Well yes it is longer but it’s straighter than the Midland and with electric traction could have been as fast. Marylebone could have been expanded by building on the neighbouring goods yards. Suburban traffic could have been routed to Paddington or down the Metropolitan line to save space.
Perhaps the London Extension should be considered not merely as a means to secure the Manchester Sheffield and Lincolnshire's independent route to the capital, but as one part of the much more ambitious vision of its Chairman, Sir Edward Watkin, to connect his various railway enterprises so as to link Manchester with Paris. Being a director of the MS&L, the Metropolitan and the South Eastern as well as railways in France helped. Had he been able to pull it off, his Channel Tunnel would not only have created the missing link, but may well have altered the course of European history. Quite a few schemes in all of this which never happened.

Last edited:

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Also the GC didn't serve anywhere of major importance between Aylesbury and Rugby, whereas the Midland served Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough and Kettering between London and Leicester. It was a no-brainer really!
Beeching et al were not just comparing the GCML and the MML to each other, but to the WCML as well, and in that analysis both came up wanting.

seaviewer

IIRC there were proposals at one stage to build a link line between Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner, which would have created a return loop at the edge of the North Downs. I think this was thwarted by the local landowner donating a key parcel of land to the owners of Epsom racecourse. Does anyone know when this was being considered? Was it a joint LBSC/SECR idea or something created by the Southern? Details are proving elusive.
A link between Tat Cnr and Epsom Downs would be challenging as the former is higher than the latter as I recall.

Rescars

A link between Tat Cnr and Epsom Downs would be challenging as the former is higher than the latter as I recall.
Yes indeed. Epsom Downs is now at an even lower altitude since the station site was sold off for housing and the station resited in the former station throat. To make it work, perhaps there would need to have been Tattenham Corner platforms at high and low level - now there's a thought! :D

E27007

The Northern Heights LT line to Edgware , construction ceased due to WW2, post-war the country too broke to complete the line

LT to Edgware