• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail - Project Management Assistant

lca99

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with a Project Management Assistant role within Network Rail? Currently finishing up an apprenticeship in maintenance and looking at potentially moving over to this, just interested to hear what the job is like and what progression looks like?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyYorks

Hi. Have done the PMA > SPM > PM route. It's quite a broad role and usually only limited by your line manager. Some just want you to be a doc controller, others give you small value projects to take the lead on and run. There is often overlap between PMA and SPM roles and you could end up working out of grade which really helps your career advancement. In theory engineering input is supported by a engineer so don't worry if you have a background in signalling but see a role in track. Just go for it. A lot of in-house PM roles are going to alliances so PMA roles are becoming scarce. Our latest reorg has wiped out all the SPM roles, and PMA roles are nil.

Depends on your skills and experience you could consider aiming for band 4 SPM roles.

Have a look on connect for JD's. If you know of any projects on your patch don't be scared to find the PM and phone them for chats on getting into projects. I did that years back. Get on the APM course once in role. Drop me a DM if you need more info or internal pointers.

lca99

Hi. Have done the PMA > SPM > PM route. It's quite a broad role and usually only limited by your line manager. Some just want you to be a doc controller, others give you small value projects to take the lead on and run. There is often overlap between PMA and SPM roles and you could end up working out of grade which really helps your career advancement. In theory engineering input is supported by a engineer so don't worry if you have a background in signalling but see a role in track. Just go for it. A lot of in-house PM roles are going to alliances so PMA roles are becoming scarce. Our latest reorg has wiped out all the SPM roles, and PMA roles are nil.

Depends on your skills and experience you could consider aiming for band 4 SPM roles.

Have a look on connect for JD's. If you know of any projects on your patch don't be scared to find the PM and phone them for chats on getting into projects. I did that years back. Get on the APM course once in role. Drop me a DM if you need more info or internal pointers.
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply this is very helpful, can't DM you unfortunately as I haven't posted enough yet. In terms of progression through the roles up to a full fledged PM is this common and realistic? I would be passing up a good job in maintenance and taking a considerable pay cut applying for this role but the PMA role is more appealing to me due to the style of work and it not being shift work based. I was looking to put myself through some HSQE courses on health and safety and the APM Project Fundamentals course to give me a better chance through the interview process as I do not have PM experience. The Job Description for the role I am looking at wants some PM experience but hopefully with my time on the railway so far along with these courses I would still have a chance.

AndyYorks

Hi, I can only speak from my experience but I don't know many PMA's who stayed PMA, unless they were simply were happy in stay in role (for example some I know had child commitments and it suited them to the ground to remain as a PMA and fair play to them - they put family first!) most progressed on to Scheme Project Managers, then Project Managers or other roles such as Sponsors so its a natural step to follow and very very common. All I would say it a lot of Band 5 and Band 4 roles are been abolished more so on the CAPEX delivery front esp on Eastern (read Project ACE on Connect). So I would suspect a bit more competition internally to make such steps. That said there is quite a lot of movement in project teams as people move/progress/leave/project portfolio's expand so a good turn over to create opportunities. A lot of PMA's work out of grade (me included at one point) ie running and leading actual projects so many are actually unpaid SPM's on a PMA wage so even as a PMA you soon tick the JD boxes for a SPM role (if like I say you have a good line manager who encourages you and opens those doors - many will as it means less work for them running the low value projects that don't make it on to Connect).

Don't rule out taking that better paid role in Maintenance (locking yourself into a decent pay range) I know plenty of ex-maintenance folks who move into project engineering or project management role (some failed, many progressed) I've also known Work Planners move straight into PM jobs. So I don't think there is anything wrong as part of your 12 - 24 month development plan saying your long term aim is to move into projects... and see if you can get your department to put you on HSEA courses and APM stuff. Don’t forget many Route Teams have Works Delivery Units that run smaller projects so even a role in maintenance could yield a way into project without leaving the depot.

Without knowing you personally, I would say limit yourself to PMA roles in your job hunt, (considering going for both as they crop up) as above, the boundary between PMA and SPM is grey. One is more supporting, one is more managing, chances are in your own personal life you have managed a project (holiday with the mates, car refurbishment, organising someone’s stag/hen party, painted your spare room) all to a budget and timescale so you can bring all that into any CV or interview and low and behold you have the skills of a SPM gained from your own life. Many SPM’s have been re-badged into new names, but its more or less the same role (usually Band 4c but a few Band 4b).

Sorry its a bit of waffle and perhaps not directly answered your question, but to be honest there is no straight reply.

lca99

Hi, I can only speak from my experience but I don't know many PMA's who stayed PMA, unless they were simply were happy in stay in role (for example some I know had child commitments and it suited them to the ground to remain as a PMA and fair play to them - they put family first!) most progressed on to Scheme Project Managers, then Project Managers or other roles such as Sponsors so its a natural step to follow and very very common. All I would say it a lot of Band 5 and Band 4 roles are been abolished more so on the CAPEX delivery front esp on Eastern (read Project ACE on Connect). So I would suspect a bit more competition internally to make such steps. That said there is quite a lot of movement in project teams as people move/progress/leave/project portfolio's expand so a good turn over to create opportunities. A lot of PMA's work out of grade (me included at one point) ie running and leading actual projects so many are actually unpaid SPM's on a PMA wage so even as a PMA you soon tick the JD boxes for a SPM role (if like I say you have a good line manager who encourages you and opens those doors - many will as it means less work for them running the low value projects that don't make it on to Connect).

Don't rule out taking that better paid role in Maintenance (locking yourself into a decent pay range) I know plenty of ex-maintenance folks who move into project engineering or project management role (some failed, many progressed) I've also known Work Planners move straight into PM jobs. So I don't think there is anything wrong as part of your 12 - 24 month development plan saying your long term aim is to move into projects... and see if you can get your department to put you on HSEA courses and APM stuff. Don’t forget many Route Teams have Works Delivery Units that run smaller projects so even a role in maintenance could yield a way into project without leaving the depot.

Without knowing you personally, I would say limit yourself to PMA roles in your job hunt, (considering going for both as they crop up) as above, the boundary between PMA and SPM is grey. One is more supporting, one is more managing, chances are in your own personal life you have managed a project (holiday with the mates, car refurbishment, organising someone’s stag/hen party, painted your spare room) all to a budget and timescale so you can bring all that into any CV or interview and low and behold you have the skills of a SPM gained from your own life. Many SPM’s have been re-badged into new names, but its more or less the same role (usually Band 4c but a few Band 4b).

Sorry its a bit of waffle and perhaps not directly answered your question, but to be honest there is no straight reply.
Hi Andy,

Cheers again for the reply, I really appreciate the response, this is very helpful, it’s hard to find any information like this anywhere. I’ve done a bit more digging into the PMA role and enquired about it. I think my next steps moving forward are going to be staying in the maintenance and consolidating my training that I’ve went through during my apprenticeship, it’s good to hear that many move on from maintenance. I’ll stay in the technicians post for a while and put myself through courses on the side, this will hopefully allow me to open up opportunities down the line if I have additional qualifications and also my time and experience in maintenance will also help id imagine. I just can’t justify the drop in pay between the PMA role and the Technician post I would be able to get at me depot it’s too considerable for me right now. Thanks again for the help, it has definitely gave me a much better understanding of this route through the company and I can use that to progress in the future!

Lighteight123

Are there options to do your L5 or L6 with your team? If you could knock them out the park (albeit they take a good few years) you could move into project engineering, which might be up your street if you like the engineering side of things. Aswell, if you stuck around for your L5/6 you could move to the design side (although NR’s design team is a bit small)