• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding Class 20s running cab first

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Are there speed restrictions placed on class 20s when not running cab first? Just curious that's all.

Thanks for reading this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kneedown

Established Member
Not worked a class 20 since BR days, but at the time there was no speed restriction if nose first, only that a Secondman must be provided as a second pair of eyes for the Driver's blind side.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Not worked a class 20 since BR days, but at the time there was no speed restriction if nose first, only that a Secondman must be provided as a second pair of eyes for the Driver's blind side.
Thanks very much for this. I used to watch them many years a go run up the Markham Colliery branch nose first and I always wondered whether there were any restrictions. That said I don't suppose the speed limit was much more than 20 mph! Thanks again.

Kneedown

Established Member
You're most welcome. My first ever job as a Secondman was in 1987 on an ballast train on the North Staffs line at Leigh, with a nose first single 20. When I progressed to Driver 20's were still still staple traction on the Notts/Leic colliery MGR runs although in pairs. On occasion though we did take one out singly to do any shunting required in some of the local sidings too far afield for an 08 to get there without taking all day.

Ken H

On Moderation
happy memories of taking my son on the Nuneaton -Skeggy train for a day out. Pair of 'choppers' and set of Mk 1's. he was as chuffed as i was. Think he was about 7. Still likes taking the train - but he uses German ones as he lives there.

Status
Not open for further replies.