• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quitting the smoking vice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Shameless copy-paste from two other forums I'm on, so I apologise if you've already seen this!:

Hi all,

As I touched upon in another thread, I finally got rid of my most hated habit, smoking, as of 2359 on Thursday. However, as expected I'm getting the usual withdrawal symptoms (I've tried before without success!) and finding it very annoying with all of the smokers at seemingly every bus stop, railway station entrance and outside the shops. Makes it that much more difficult to resist when it appears the world smokes at every opportunity!

The purpose of this thread, then, is to ask if anyone else on here has ever managed to banish the habit and how they dealt with it.

Personally, I've been given the NiQuitin patches (24 hour variety) and a inhalator on Hot Standby duties just in case. Got the warned-about vivid dream with it last night (ie, the first night of using them), gotta say it was more like a nightmare I was glad to awaken from!

So yeah, anyone else managed to become a non-smoker, preparing to become one or going through the symptoms? If so, would like to hear of it, would be very helpful to hear other members did it!

Kind regards,

Julian, the newest member of the NiQuitin Crew!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
As we have discussed previously, I managed to quit although have since restarted so I am not exactly the best person to comment. I managed on the 16 hour patch so never had the pleasure of vivid dreams but it does work, you still need a great deal of willpower though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, I have been discussing it with someone on Facebook too (as you do), it is surprising how much help it can be talking to someone!

I realised earlier when posting over on the WNXX forum that I've been going cold turkey with bashing too (anyone who knows me well knows how into it I usually am), only for just short of 6 weeks (it will be in 2h9m) so far with my first ride on a train to come on 3rd May 2009 (the same day it would be 7 weeks - 15th March 2009 - 2nd May 2009 will have been free from bashing totally on the trains). So in theory I'm currently giving up TWO vices, which I'm not afraid to admit has been hard work so far! If only there was a BRT (Bashing Replacement Therapy) available (ta for that one Darren, hope you don't mind if I use it)! :lol:

This is day 2 currently, day 3 is on its way in a couple of hours and will be the first test when James returns from London, as he's still on them. Nevertheless, determination and willpower are supporting me along with the NRT (no, not the timetable!), so all being well I'll be on The Retro Avon Grid tour and not desire to get off and have a smoke. That'll be easier said than done mind, considering that weekend I'll be on my first long journies with a fester at Bath before the NatEx coach, 7 hours in London and some time in Manchester and Huddersfield. So it's going to be a tough test. So if anyone here is doing the tour, if I ask thou for a smoke then please do refuse me. And I will be tired and irritable (overnight journey after all), so bear that in mind it'll be the withdrawal symptoms hitting me for six.

Anyway, enough talk of this for now from me!

Status
Not open for further replies.