• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail sights around Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Pre-Covid, all the different ICEs, OBB Railjets, BR101 & 120 on various IC services. Alex services with Eurorunners, RE and RB services with BR143s and BR218s. FLIRTs heading into Austria. Lots of local EMUs. Now, not so sure.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Add the SBB Pendolinos from Zurich, not sure how many 218s now.
Not been there, but the transport section of https://www.deutsches-museum.de/en has been on my list for ages.
Plus an SNCF TGV to/from Paris I believe.

Munich Hbf is a very large 36-platform passenger terminus, with regional sections, an S-bahn underground section, plus U-bahn and trams.
Munich Ost is a big through station on the lines towards Austria and will have some freight.
Both stations are linked by frequent S-bahn trains to/from the Airport, which go underground through the city centre.
Copious details here, too much to quote:
München Hauptbahnhof - Wikipedia

dutchflyer

Established Member
Was there thursday eve-between trains, arr. from Wien on RJet-35 mins late, and its still very much as TheEdge describes-I even also witnessed the doubledeck TGV arriving. Works going on-for enlargement of a pedestrian underpass or so at eastern end.
In fact he HBF is a kind of merger of 3 once separate stations side by side (But without a road in between, like KingsX and Pancras), the 2 side ones for regional lines-for a large part now Sbahn in tunnel.
Besides DB at least some 5 other ´private´ local companies for Germany-all in their own livery etc. A combined overnighttrain to HUngary/Austria/Slovenija/Croatia/Italy too.
München is also a very heavy freight magnet, these pass via a roundabout line.

On Moderation
Pre-Covid, all the different ICEs, OBB Railjets, BR101 & 120 on various IC services. Alex services with Eurorunners, RE and RB services with BR143s and BR218s. FLIRTs heading into Austria. Lots of local EMUs. Now, not so sure.
No 120s any more, of course. The Alex services with Eurorunners in the Lindau route were finishing, but there's still the Alex 183s on the service to Regensburg and onwards to Hof and Czechia. I don't think there's any 143s down there, but there may still be a small number of 111s and 146s on double-deck sets. The 218s are still around, along with the multi-engined 245s on the Muhldorf route. In addition to the ÖBB Railjets, there's also ÖBB 1216s and stock on the service from Munich through Austria to Italy.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Freight goes through Ostbahnhof but not Hauptbahnhof.
Pasing is a good place to see passenger and freight.
Of course, non-rail related, the Hofbräuhaus is worth a visit, as is the Deutsches Museum and, if old buildings are your thing, Nymphenburg Schloss.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Right. I see the hall where Mr. One Testicle started his putsch attempt has long been demolished.

coppercapped

Established Member
From your question I assume that you've not previously visited Munich - but I hope that you have some time left over and can explore the city a bit. As Jamesrob637 wrote in post #7 , there are many other things to do and see there. Apart from the, in my eyes, touristy, Hofbräuhaus all the other breweries have their own biergarten, the Augustinerbräu in the Arnulfstrasse between the Hbf and the Hackerbrücke is easy to reach, for example.

There are museums for everything, not forgetting the BMW World near the Olympic Park - which itself is well worth a visit.

I lived near Pasing for some three years and fell in love with the whole area. I used to travel to work on the S-Bahn from Westkreuz to the Hbf and change to the U-Bahn to my place of work near the Olympia Park. It took about 40 minutes including the walk at each end. Then I bought a bike - it still took 40 minutes but I got to cycle through the grounds of the Nymphenburg twice a day and see the trains on the lines out to Ingolstadt and Landshut as I passed...what's not to like?

A good place to start for information on what's going on is the City's website at https://www.muenchen.de/int/en.html as well as other sources such as the Wiki entry which gives a potted history of the town.

Added as a response to post #8
The site you mentioned was damaged, like all of Munich, during the wartime bombing raids but survived. It was demolished in 1979 to avoid the area becoming a centre of 'pilgrimage' and the magnificent concert hall, Münchner Philharmoniker, and the Gasteig entertainment complex built on the site. There is, also, a memorial to Georg Elser who made an assassination attempt in 1939 on the same site. You may wish to look for it, the nearest S-Bahn stop is Rosenheimerplatz.

Last edited:

Established Member
Another thing to look out for (if they're your sort of thing, they are mine!) are the classic ET420 EMUs on the S-Bahn. I'm not entirely sure what services/routes they currently run on though. Similarly the U-Bahn is still host to some pretty old stock.

In terms of watering holes, I'm quite a fan of the Löwenbräu bierkeller myself. It's north of Hauptbahnhof rather than east into the city centre, so doesn't tend to get too crowded.

coppercapped

Established Member
Another thing to look out for (if they're your sort of thing, they are mine!) are the classic ET420 EMUs on the S-Bahn. I'm not entirely sure what services/routes they currently run on though. Similarly the U-Bahn is still host to some pretty old stock.

In terms of watering holes, I'm quite a fan of the Löwenbräu bierkeller myself. It's north of Hauptbahnhof rather than east into the city centre, so doesn't tend to get too crowded.
As far as I know none of the surviving half dozen or so ET420s are still useable. The first prototype for the Munich S-Bahn has been in the DB museum at Nürnberg for the last five years or so and is no longer used for excursions or special trips.

The older U-Bahn stock is still a thing, but they are slowly fading. (Most of them would already have gone were it not for chronic delays in the delivery of replacement stock. Sound familiar...? :'( )

Regarding watering holes... One should distinguish between Biergarten (outside, eat your own food at the self service tables, at the serviced tables eat only from the restaurant menu) and Bierkeller (inside, food only off the menu). Some places have both at the same site. Everybody has their favourites - but there is a huge choice!

XAM2175

Established Member
As far as I know none of the surviving half dozen or so ET420s are still useable. The first prototype for the Munich S-Bahn has been in the DB museum at Nürnberg for the last five years or so and is no longer used for excursions or special trips.

Fifteen units from Stuttgart were introduced to service in Munich in 2015, followed by 21 more from all over Germany in late 2018, as an alternative to procuring vehicles of a new type. These are still running, last I heard.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Another vote for the Augustiner Keller bier garten. Very handy for the Hbf.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

The older U-Bahn stock is still a thing, but they are slowly fading. (Most of them would already have gone were it not for chronic delays in the delivery of replacement stock. Sound familiar...? :'( )

Regarding watering holes... One should distinguish between Biergarten (outside, eat your own food at the self service tables, at the serviced tables eat only from the restaurant menu) and Bierkeller (inside, food only off the menu). Some places have both at the same site. Everybody has their favourites - but there is a huge choice!

You were lucky to live in Pasing. I needed to be reasonably near the airport so Feldmoching was where I lived.

coppercapped

Established Member
You were lucky to live in Pasing. I needed to be reasonably near the airport so Feldmoching was where I lived.
Yes, I really enjoyed it. There was, for example, a superb Italian ice cream parlour in the Gleichmannstrasse opposite the Bf[1] and plenty of good cafés, restaurants and so on. It had a life of its own even though it was only 15 minutes from the Marienplatz in Munich.

And lots of trains...!

[1] It is said that Munich is the largest Italian city north of Milan... :smile:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yes, I really enjoyed it. There was, for example, a superb Italian ice cream parlour in the Gleichmannstrasse opposite the Bf[1] and plenty of good cafés, restaurants and so on. It had a life of its own even though it was only 15 minutes from the Marienplatz in Munich.

And lots of trains...!

[1] It is said that Munich is the largest Italian city north of Milan... :smile:

Die nördlichste Stadt Italiens! For those on here not so versed in German, that means the most northern town in Italy! Plus it's actually called Monaco (di Baviera) in Italian!

(Actually, I wonder whether that lovely Italian still operates just next to the U-Station Münchner Freiheit?!)

coppercapped

Established Member
Die nördlichste Stadt Italiens! For those on here not so versed in German, that means the most northern town in Italy! Plus it's actually called Monaco (di Baviera) in Italian!

(Actually, I wonder whether that lovely Italian still operates just next to the U-Station Münchner Freiheit?!)
I never knew the Italianer near U-Bahn Münchner Freiheit - obviously an error.

If you were in Feldmoching, did you get a chance to visit the aviation section of the Deutsches Museum at Schliessheim, just down the way? For anyone interested, the website is https://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/flugwerft-schleissheim

Status
Not open for further replies.