• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ramsline Halt - UK's most absurd "White Elephant" Station project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Taken out of this thread
Another football-related one, Ramsline Halt built to serve Derby County's Baseball ground. The ground is no longer there, and only four trains ever stopped at the station !

That, surely, should be in the Guinness Book of Records as the least used station ever build in the UK? I've read about this on here, and used to live in Derby, but this passed me by in terms of the few trains that actually used it. Was it in the 80s? Why so little usage? (Did the Rams get relegated?) Who paid for this in the first place, the club or ...? (Feel free to start a new thread! Actually, I will!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Was the Ramsline Halt only ever used to effectively keep certain away supporters from the main station at Derby?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The platform is still there, although access to it long since blocked and its becoming a bit overgrown
Of course, the one-time nearby Derby County Baseball Ground stadium, no longer is there, having been demolished in late 2003.

bramling

Veteran Member
Taken out of this thread

That, surely, should be in the Guinness Book of Records as the least used station ever build in the UK? I've read about this on here, and used to live in Derby, but this passed me by in terms of the few trains that actually used it. Was it in the 80s? Why so little usage? (Did the Rams get relegated?) Who paid for this in the first place, the club or ...? (Feel free to start a new thread! Actually, I will!)

Whilst Ramsline might well win the award for being the oddest, there are other examples of stations which have been built and never used (for passengers) at all. Lullingstone is perhaps the most well known, but there’s a few others.

station_road

It was open for a few years before Derby County moved away from the Baseball Ground (97?), but dedicated football specials started to decline at the same time it opened so there wasn't really any need for it.

It might also hold some sort of record for longest platform with no facilities on it (it had lights but no shelters or seats, and looking on Google Maps it's not far off the length of the platforms at Derby station)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I thought it was only used once? Something about not running passenger trains over hand worked points.

Meole

It was open for a few years before Derby County moved away from the Baseball Ground (97?), but dedicated football specials started to decline at the same time it opened so there wasn't really any need for it.

It might also hold some sort of record for longest platform with no facilities on it (it had lights but no shelters or seats, and looking on Google Maps it's not far off the length of the platforms at Derby station)
Hull City had a similar platform at their old ground.

Sheridan

Was the Ramsline Halt only ever used to effectively keep certain away supporters from the main station at Derby?
The information available does seem to suggest this is the case - that it was never intended to provide a regular service for home fans, but to enable away fans to be brought directly to the ground on special trains, when passenger numbers and other factors dictated.

Trainfan2019

Yes, platform still there when I was in Derby a couple of years ago. Getting overgrown back then. The only remnant of it's former use was a sign still in situ saying 'way out' on the platform.

greyman42

Established Member
Where exactly was this station as i will look out for its remains when i next pass through?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Where exactly was this station as i will look out for its remains when i next pass through?
Just beyond Peartree station, on the final mile inbound to Derby station, roughly where the St. Andrew's Sidings branches off from the Birmingham and Derby line, I would say. Where the A514 (Osmaston Road) crosses over the line.

Last edited:

greyman42

Established Member
Just beyond Peartree station, on the final mile inbound to Derby station, roughly where the St. Andrew's Sidings branches off from the Birmingham and Derby line, I would say. Where the A514 (Osmaston Road) crosses over the line.
So what line was it on?

vlad

It's not on any line at all now - the track adjacent to the platform was removed during the Derby remodelling a few years back - so reopening the station is now even less likely. (Technically of course you can't have a probability lower than zero but anyway....)

Status
Not open for further replies.