• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommended things to do in Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambsy

On Moderation
I'm later this month doing day out to Paris by Eurostar, have about 10 hours to explore, arrive 10.17am, leave 20.13, I'm looking for train rides for reasonable money or good places to watch trains run through non stop and stopping, or attractions to visit but not the obvious main tourist ones, thanks for all advice given.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Try the Parc St Cloud - about 15 mins out of St Lazare on the doomed Z6400 class units - lovely noises; make sure you travel in a DM vehicle - to St Cloud station then a short walk. The terrace in the park gives a perfect vantage point to film trams with the whole of Paris laid out behind them.

For a suggested ride - you'll need a zone 5 ticket - get one of the fast Gare de Lyon surface to Melun trains ( xx.19 and xx.49 each hour from Paris ). Most are double deck units - and believe me these do thrash despite being units! - but there's also some which are formed of BB7200 locomotives push-pull with extremely comfortable T.E.R. Corail stock.

Metro 1 and Metro 14 have full see out fronts like the DLR in London; Metro 14 is particularly good as it's a double track tunnel with very long and fast sections...

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I'm later this month doing day out to Paris by Eurostar, have about 10 hours to explore, arrive 10.17am, leave 20.13, I'm looking for train rides for reasonable money or good places to watch trains run through non stop and stopping, or attractions to visit but not the obvious main tourist ones, thanks for all advice given.

Just make sure that whilst watching the trains you watch your wallet/phone/etc. as well. Ideal city to get mugged but I hope that you have a good trip.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The elevated part of Metro Line 6 is interesting especially where it crosses the Seine near the Eiffel Tower. You can change at Place d'Italie to line 5 which passes through the trainshed at Gare D'Austerlitz above the tracks. There are also some trams and the rubber-tyred Translohr, which people should perhaps ride to show what a bad idea it is!

Lrd

Established Member
Just make sure that whilst watching the trains you watch your wallet/phone/etc. as well. Ideal city to get mugged but I hope that you have a good trip.
What makes it an "ideal city to get mugged"?

Status
Not open for further replies.