• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reports on effectiveness (or not!) and impacts of lockdown and other measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member
I wouldn’t listen too much to Truss as she’s an air head who will have change her mind depend on what she thinks will make her popular.
Oh, I’m under no illusions there! I just think it’s notable that politicians are attempting to distance themselves from lockdowns; I’m sure she won’t be the last.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I’m left wing and I believe that lock downs went on for far too long.

I wouldn’t listen too much to Truss as she’s an air head who will have change her mind depend on what she thinks will make her popular.
So if she had said that we should of had longer lockdowns, you would of taken the same attitude?

It is (at least) notable that a major politician is acknowledging that lockdowns do more harm than they prevent.
And Starmer remains silent on the subject.

nw1

Established Member
I see Truss has come out vocally against lockdowns:

It is (at least) notable that a major politician is acknowledging that lockdowns do more harm than they prevent.

Unfortunately I suspect it will do nothing to reduce left-right polarisation on this issue.

Except do the left generally want lockdowns now, in summer 2022?

Lockdowns are one cause of the current economic problems, so it wouldn't look good for any left-wing politician to deny they had side effects.

I suspect that harsher restrictions (never mind lockdowns) will be very unpopular in the next few months (with all the other problems) so any politician of any sense, left or right, would probably be wise not to advocate compulsory 10-day self-isolation, testing to travel abroad or to attend nightclubs or public events, and the like.

nedchester

Established Member
So if she had said that we should of had longer lockdowns, you would of taken the same attitude?

And Starmer remains silent on the subject.
Yes because she’ll lie to get herself elected.

Starmer doesn’t need to say anything.

Lockdowns are one cause of the current economic problems, so it wouldn't look good for any left-wing politician to deny they had side effects.

I suspect that harsher restrictions (never mind lockdowns) will be very unpopular in the next few months (with all the other problems) so any politician of any sense, left or right, would probably be wise not to advocate compulsory 10-day self-isolation, testing to travel abroad or to attend nightclubs or public events, and the like.
Unless you’re in brainwashed Germany

duncanp

Established Member
I see Truss has come out vocally against lockdowns:

Unfortunately I suspect it will do nothing to reduce left-right polarisation on this issue.

Well that is encouraging.

However she will have to stand firm against the locktivist establishment within the media and the NHS, who will no doubt try to scare her into believing that the NHS is on the point of collapse (when is it ever not on the point of collapse) unless we impose COVID style restrictions during the winter flu season.

Cdd89

Established Member
However she will have to stand firm against the locktivist establishment within the media and the NHS, who will no doubt try to scare her into believing that the NHS is on the point of collapse (when is it ever not on the point of collapse) unless we impose COVID style restrictions during the winter flu season
As @nw1 correctly points out above, pledging against future lockdowns for Covid is not particularly notable; I don’t think any politician would do so (“minor” restrictions are another matter, of course).

Disavowing previous lockdowns is another matter entirely as not that many politicians have done so.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think the (moderate) left want lockdowns; it's the hard left who do.

But of course they tend claim it's not that they "want" them but they are "necessary" which is their way of supposedly justifying their views.

Also they won't argue for lockdowns now but for restrictions/mandates (which they may call "protections" or other such nonsense) now in order to "avoid" lockdowns in the Winter.

They said the same last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.