• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Roadworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
When I'm driving, I always keep an eye-out for holes and dips in the road so that I can avoid them, me having a car with sporty suspension 'n' all. I would say that between 40 - 60% of the broken road surface I avoid is down to poor and shoddy filling by past roadworks gangs, usually carried out by the gas and water boards. I consider this a scandal, especially since (around my parts at least) it will be down to the taxpayer to come and repair their incompetent work some months down the line. The council say that they come and inspect the road when thay have finished but I don't believe them for one minute. It's about time these companies were monitored more strictly when they start digging up the public road and are made to do a decent job of repairing the road when thay have finished. Still, garages report a boom in business due to broken suspensions, springs etc so it can't be doing the economy that much harm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I have to say, the council have fixed up a lot of roads in my area, following the heavy snowfall we had in the past two years. Some of the potholes are totally lethal!

mumrar

Established Member
When I'm driving, I always keep an eye-out for holes and dips in the road so that I can avoid them, me having a car with sporty suspension 'n' all. I would say that between 40 - 60% of the broken road surface I avoid is down to poor and shoddy filling by past roadworks gangs, usually carried out by the gas and water boards. I consider this a scandal, especially since (around my parts at least) it will be down to the taxpayer to come and repair their incompetent work some months down the line. The council say that they come and inspect the road when thay have finished but I don't believe them for one minute. It's about time these companies were monitored more strictly when they start digging up the public road and are made to do a decent job of repairing the road when thay have finished. Still, garages report a boom in business due to broken suspensions, springs etc so it can't be doing the economy that much harm.
You should try it when the only suspension you have is the cheeks of your backside! I've been cycling everywhere to save money since the end of March and I cannot believe the state of some sections of road. Buses and lorries cause huge potholes.on local roads, and I was on a country lane an got a puncture from a pothole it was so big! There should be a change of thinking whereby you cannot surface dress a section of road that has trees overhanging. The surface breaks up terribly where the leaves and branches drain on to the road and the conditions for riding on are truly awful.

Established Member
I have a dent in the rim of one of the wheels on my car from a large pothole I didn't see in time to avoid. Thankfully it's not bad enough to require a new wheel, however it appears to have affected the tracking, which is now needing done and I've just had to replace the tyre because of it. So I'm not best pleased about that.

Being a small cheap Ford, the suspension is somewhat lacking, which makes some road surfaces an interesting ride :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
They suffer from a severe lack of joined up thinking around here. A road is closed for tram works, then the gas board decide they want to do work on it, so it's got to be closed again, then the electricity board do a bit of work another time... really, there ought to be an incentive on companies to close roads for the minimum number of days possible, using the same work-site where practical.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
They suffer from a severe lack of joined up thinking around here. A road is closed for tram works, then the gas board decide they want to do work on it, so it's got to be closed again, then the electricity board do a bit of work another time... really, there ought to be an incentive on companies to close roads for the minimum number of days possible, using the same work-site where practical.

I remember that this proposal was being considered by a certain body about six months ago, but I can't remember their name, off-hand at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.