• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rocket On-Board Catering Prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If the food/drink is of a good quality, I have no problem paying the premium. I can't always predict what I might want - and in the summer you might want an ice cold drink, not something you've carried in your rucksack all day (or in a carrier bag if you're travelling light). What's more, if I know it is good then I'll actually make a point of holding off before the journey in order to use it - so that means increased custom for the TOC.

In a coffee shop, you pay for the right to buy a space (hopefully) to sit and relax, maybe even work and take advantage of the Wi-Fi. I do wonder why so many people are happy to pay the same premium cost to take their latte away in a cardboard mug.

It's a good idea to carry that Twix in case of a delay, but sadly I fear it would be long gone if I knew it was in my pocket. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I always thought that you had to pay VAT when you sat inside, but didn't when you takeaway. In Starbucks there are two different prices for food.

I look at it in these ways when buying things on board:

1) Is the trip long enough to warrant buying something? Anything under an hour you can easily wait.

2) How reasonable is the cost? I know most of the cost is markup, but £4 for a sandwich, even these days, is still a lot. Much easier making one at home.

3) Where does the money go? Invariably to the TOC, but if I'm on the S+C where the Friends of the Settle and Carlisle line man the trolley, I'd rather my money go to them.

Taking a cup of tea for instance:

Teabag - 1p
Water - 5p (inc. boiling)
Milk - 2p
Sugar - 2p
Cup - 5p

The rest goes on staff, but then a huge mark up. When you think that tea is probably the cheapest drink after tap water, you soon get the feeling that you are being ripped off.

Established Member
Must have passed me by then. Still, taking Starbucks as an example, they must put a discount on takeaway to leave seats free for others, whereas in some places they don't give a discount at all.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
it would make sense to have a discount for takeaways. However, as Starbucks takeaways use cardboard cups, are the overheads higher than reusable china cups in the shop?

jon0844

Veteran Member
They still charge to eat in, which seems to go back to the days of VAT applying for one and not the other (and even then, only on certain products).

But, like before, it is unworkable in as much as they will happily let you say 'take away' even if you opt to then sit down inside anyway!

I am one of those people who pays £1.95 for a coffee in a paper cup - and I do always question why I do it. The real reason is clearly that they're just downstairs from my office and it gets me out for a few minutes (rather like a fag break without the smoking).

Established Member
it would make sense to have a discount for takeaways. However, as Starbucks takeaways use cardboard cups, are the overheads higher than reusable china cups in the shop?

Depends on how much a disposable cup costs - guessing now very much if you buy in bulk. For a china cup, cost would be higher, but would get repeated use. Depends on how many are broken each year. Plus then the time for washing up and staff pay etc.

EMT - coffee £1.50 - reasonable value for Kenco instant
EMT - hot bacon bagette £3.95 - OK value when fresh from the travelling chef, poor value when microwaved by the buffet steward
EMT - 440ml can on John Smiths £2.85 - good value especially after a rubbish day at work
EC - can of coke £1 - pretty good value from the trolley

For EMT the provision of a buffet is not a franchise requirement, I think it makes a loss or barely breaks even.

Why don't they just put really good vending machines on trains - save all the staff costs, modern ones take debit cards so they could have them cashless (lower risk of vandalization), and plenty make coffee from beans. Remove the buffet and install four vending machines - contract out to eliminate the management hassle.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Is it me - or is it that Trolley prices are more expensive than the 'Cafe-Bar' - I was onboard NXEA from London and the trolly price list was £2 for ? but I only paid £1.90ish for it.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is it me - or is it that Trolley prices are more expensive than the 'Cafe-Bar' - I was onboard NXEA from London and the trolly price list was £2 for ? but I only paid £1.90ish for it.

NXEA charge £1.75 for trolley coffee or £2 for the proper stuff at the bar. Must say the latter is very nice. Also they make their own sandwiches at Norwich station each day for on-board supply. These change on a regullar basis & i can reccomend the Chicken breast sweetcorn mayo (£2.85) at the moment.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
I think this is silly as the majority of their revenue comes from the YRK - SUN leg as this holds more of the 'Familys' off to somewhere else like Heartlepool etc.

True, I use them regularly. But as a GC SUN-YRK return is only £16 compared with £23 on the ECML I doubt its really worth it to give freebies away that they can charge a couple of quid for.

Established Member
Probably not free, just included in the price of the ticket. Like the free toy you get with a Happy Meal.

Still it is the psychology in it - much better getting a perceived "free" cup of tea rather than having a train ticket costing say £1.50 less and having to pay for the tea.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Do any trains here have vending machines on them? I've seen many abroad, and do wonder why we don't.

I'm guessing we'd just wreck them.

Established Member
I'm sure I've seen ice cream in vending machines in shopping centres over here.

One of the good things about vending machines is when there is something stuck, and you get two for one. Not good for the poor sod who lost their money (still can get a refund), and always a bugger when it does it to you.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I never really use train buffets, but always make an exception on FGW who have a truly delicious range, never used to use their buffet either until the refurb which made me see what a huge range they offer.

me123

Established Member
People often moan about the price of hot drinks on trains, but you are generally paying less than you would on the high street nowadays (at places like Costa and Starbucks).

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
I never really use train buffets, but always make an exception on FGW who have a truly delicious range, never used to use their buffet either until the refurb which made me see what a huge range they offer.

Would that be the ones with the travelling Chef on board, I cannot recommend them highly enough, I got 3/4 of the way down the menu before I stopped using them and enjoyed every meal without fail, money well spent.

Established Member
Has anyone tried the new menu in the Cafe Bar on East Coast? I've been tempted to have a go at the Hotpot or Shepherd's Pie, but haven't had the chance yet.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
FGW only charge £1.60 for a "real" cup of Coffee as far as I know. (freshly ground etc)

£1.70 for coffee as of Friday 12th February 2010 on the 2123 Taunton to Paddington. Tea was £1.60 and that was an amazing cuppa <D

As for the ching from trollies/buffets on board, it can be expensive. I tend to take stuff with me whenever I can, or just go to a supermarket/chippy/whatever away from the station/on-board ching anyway. Although in this weather getting hot drinks when on the bash is unavoidable. Thermos flasks are good to solve that but a 1 litre flask doesn't last me long.

Thank fook for the Bite card I say, I've saved a lot of money using that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.