• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rossie Viaduct in Montrose

KrisKorlado

There is a Rossie Viaduct in Montrose whose supports are partially in the water. There used to be a canal there which was filled in, but the supports themselves were not. Do you know if there could be any technological reasons not to completely cover the area under the viaduct in order to make this area accessible to the community? In four years it will be the 170th anniversary of its construction and I think it could attract tourists to our town.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Puddock

There is a Rossie Viaduct in Montrose whose supports are partially in the water. There used to be a canal there which was filled in, but the supports themselves were not. Do you know if there could be any technological reasons not to completely cover the area under the viaduct in order to make this area accessible to the community? In four years it will be the 170th anniversary of its construction and I think it could attract tourists to our town.
It wasn't a canal underneath the viaduct, it was a natural open channel to the North Sea. Rossie Island (sometimes 'Inchbraoch' or 'Inchbrayock') was just that - an island. A lot of land was reclaimed in the early 1970s during the expansion of the oil industry to make the present harbour board yard. Here is a map showing the historic island and the current reclaimed area side by side.

Your plan is a non-starter as the Basin is a nationally important nature reserve for birds. You must be the probably only resident in Montrose who would be willing to lose any of the Basin to urban sprawl. Certainly in 20 years living in the town I never heard anyone express a desire for that bit of the Basin to be infilled.

KrisKorlado

Thank you for your answer. Very nice map, I haven't used this resource before.

I read earlier that the area directly under the bridge belongs to the railway and is not part of the reserve.

KrisKorlado

Thank you for clarifying. I see you're good at maps. Where can I check who owns the land and whether it is part of the reserve?