• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Planners that exclude Train options (for Friday 5th April)

BAFRA77

Hi all, quick question - are there any online route planners that can be set to not include rail routes - I was supposed to be going from Worcester to Stone in Staffordshire on Friday 5th April - and would have gotten WMR/AWC/XC rail services.

Now those are all out of action due to the strikes - I need to find alternative methods

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger1973

Traveline can - if you click on 'more options', one of the options is 'choose travel mode' - the default is that everything is ticked, but you can un-tick any.

I think the West Midlands journey planner includes surrounding counties.

Traveline can be more up to date than Google, which gets its data second hand.

londonbridge

Established Member
Hi all, quick question - are there any online route planners that can be set to not include rail routes - I was supposed to be going from Worcester to Stone in Staffordshire on Friday 5th May - and would have gotten WMR/AWC/XC rail services.

Now those are all out of action due to the strikes - I need to find alternative methods
Think you mean April……5th May is a Sunday.

peterblue

Hi all, quick question - are there any online route planners that can be set to not include rail routes - I was supposed to be going from Worcester to Stone in Staffordshire on Friday 5th May - and would have gotten WMR/AWC/XC rail services.

It will take you a while by bus.

I'd recommend catching the 144 to Bromsgrove, the 144A to Longbridge, then Longbridge to Birmingham 61/63.

There are some railway services departing Birmingham New Street which call at Stafford - from there you can catch the 101 to Stone. This'll be a lot faster than catching buses to Wolverhampton and Stafford, or Lichfield and Stafford from Birmingham.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all, quick question - are there any online route planners that can be set to not include rail routes - I was supposed to be going from Worcester to Stone in Staffordshire on Friday 5th April - and would have gotten WMR/AWC/XC rail services.

If there are trains running, but not of certain operators, and you are just journey planning for train times, then www.fastjp.com allows you to exclude (or only include) specific operators.

If there are no trains running, then as others have said you can use Google Maps however I would double-check the times with the relevant operator, as Google Maps isn't always 100% accurate.

WM Bus

It will take you a while by bus.

I'd recommend catching the 144 to Bromsgrove, the 144A to Longbridge, then Longbridge to Birmingham 61/63.

There are some railway services departing Birmingham New Street which call at Stafford - from there you can catch the 101 to Stone. This'll be a lot faster than catching buses to Wolverhampton and Stafford, or Lichfield and Stafford from Birmingham.
The 144A has been the 20 (QE Hospital to Bromsgrove via Selly Oak, Northfield, Longbridge, Rubery, Catshill) since April 2023.

Also from what I can see it looks like only Chiltern will be running rail services into Birmingham on Friday so nothing to/from the North.
Birmingham New Street will be locked up on Friday with TFW services terminating at Wolverhampton and it is also worth noting that the midlands metro between Birmingham and Wednesbury is down due to engineering works this week with ticket acceptance in place on local bus services.

Last edited:

BAFRA77

Managed to find a route that would be the best one to get - Worcester-Bromsgrove-Birmingham-Cannock-Stafford-Stone - which should take just around 5 hours.

Thanks for the suggestions and help all

peterblue

The 144A has been the 20 (QE Hospital to Bromsgrove via Selly Oak, Northfield, Longbridge, Rubery, Catshill) since April 2023.

Also from what I can see it looks like only Chiltern will be running rail services into Birmingham on Friday so nothing to/from the North.
Birmingham New Street will be locked up on Friday with TFW services terminating at Wolverhampton and it is also worth noting that the midlands metro between Birmingham and Wednesbury is down due to engineering works this week with ticket acceptance in place on local bus services.
FastJP and RTT suggested one or two Avanti services earlier, though I guess those have been curtailed now. That's a shame.

Apologies for the numbering mixup. I shouldn't rely on my own faulty memory :)