• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sandwiching prosecution advice

I know it's fully deserved and honesty I think I'll get prosecuted but got caught by thameslink heading into the city, I got the thameslink this time as I heard it's quicker, I normally just get the underground and always pay full fare every time. The "missed stops" this time equate to like 2 or 3,honestly it wasn't even worth it this time as I got the entry and exit ticket but saved like...2 pounds. But I have a secondary office, way out of London. That one I sandwich pretty much all the time. Let's say it's 16 stops, I pay for 3. That one via trainline and I pay like 6.50 instead of 31 pounds (I also have a railcard) I got stopped anyway, gave my details, I'm now waiting on the letter.

Ive contacted Reed already and got time booked in with them but honestly I think my career is done for.. Only recently had a pretty big jump up salary wise and started to look at my whole life differently. But Im positive it's going to come crashing down now.

Few questions.

How long for the letter to arrive?

With Reed is there actually a decent success rate?

Wl they automatically initially go through my trainline?

Again, I know it's self inflicted, not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me, well aware me ruining my life is my own fault. Just looking some advice.

Many thanks

Bob

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Murray J

I know it's fully deserved and honesty I think I'll get prosecuted but got caught by thameslink heading into the city, I got the thameslink this time as I heard it's quicker, I normally just get the underground and always pay full fare every time. The "missed stops" this time equate to like 2 or 3,honestly it wasn't even worth it this time as I got the entry and exit ticket but saved like...2 pounds. But I have a secondary office, way out of London. That one I sandwich pretty much all the time. Let's say it's 16 stops, I pay for 3. That one via trainline and I pay like 6.50 instead of 31 pounds (I also have a railcard) I got stopped anyway, gave my details, I'm now waiting on the letter.

Ive contacted Reed already and got time booked in with them but honestly I think my career is done for. In tech but work in mortgage industry at the moment. Only recently had a pretty big jump up salary wise and started to look at my whole life differently. But Im positive it's going to come crashing down now.

Few questions.

How long for the letter to arrive?

With Reed is there actually a decent success rate?

Wl they automatically initially go through my trainline?

Again, I know it's self inflicted, not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me, well aware me ruining my life is my own fault. Just looking some advice.

Many thanks

Bob
I'm nowhere near qualified to say anything about the specifics of your case (I mostly just lurk in this particular section at least) but 2 things to note:
1) Thameslink are I believe one of the more lenient TOCs out there and much more likely to offer a settlement which'll keep it out of court.
2) This won't end your life or career. Even in the unlikely event you get prosecuted (which depends on just how long you've been doing this) as long as you declare it to your employer you should be ok.

Veteran Member
Hi and welcome to the forum - not that I expect you want to be here :)

Almost certainly GTR (who run Thameslink) will research your travel history if they can. But, as Murray J has said, there is a very good chance of an out-of-court settlement if you engage with the process when the letter arrives.

Please come back to us then for further advice (though using the search function will give you a fairly good idea). Meanwhile, don't panic!

It is unlikely to be worth your while to pay for a solicitor, but a settlement will be expensive - expect to be asked for the full fare, no railcard discount, for each occasion they can pin on you.

Hi and welcome to the forum - not that I expect you want to be here :)

Almost certainly GTR (who run Thameslink) will research your travel history if they can. But, as Murray J has said, there is a very good chance of an out-of-court settlement if you engage with the process when the letter arrives.

Please come back to us then for further advice (though using the search function will give you a fairly good idea). Meanwhile, don't panic!

It is unlikely to be worth your while to pay for a solicitor, but a settlement will be expensive - expect to be asked for the full fare, no railcard discount, for each occasion they can pin on you.
Ah so they'll see my other journeys? I see I see. Well that's not good haha. I've already paid for Reed, in my eyes it makes sense as a potential last ditch attempt. I don't want to be a couple years down the line wondering what if I had tried if that makes sense.

Murray J

Also i've just noticed your username sounds very much like it could be your real name, you may want to get a moderator to change that.

Also i've just noticed your username sounds very much like it could be your real name, you may want to get a moderator to change that.
I can confirm, it is not my name ha. But thank you, I was thinking what if the agents scour through the forum and try to link up cases
/stories

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Ah so they'll see my other journeys? I see I see. Well that's not good haha. I've already paid for Reed, in my eyes it makes sense as a potential last ditch attempt. I don't want to be a couple years down the line wondering what if I had tried if that makes sense.
If you have instructed a solicitor already you should listen to their advice. You didn’t need to instruct them because GTR settle all the time anyway, but now you have you should just let them handle everything. You’re paying for it!

If you have instructed a solicitor already you should listen to their advice. You didn’t need to instruct them because GTR settle all the time anyway, but now you have you should just let them handle everything. You’re paying for it!
Oh really they do? Okay well that's comforting, yeah I've already paid for the initial session so may as well follow through with their advice. Any idea how long the letter takes to arrive? It'll be a week tomorrow

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think any talk of ruining your life is premature.

As you've paid for the advice of a Solicitor, probably just focus on doing what they suggest. In addition, try to make sure you can get some spare cash together to ensure you can comfortably pay their bill and afford a settlement offer with the train operator, ideally without falling behind on payments of your other essential expenses (such as council tax and mortgage repayments or rent etc). Finally, and likely most importantly of all, please make sure you always hold a valid ticket for the journey you're making before boarding in future.

It can be up to several months.
Wow just for the initial letter?

I think any talk of ruining your life is premature.

As you've paid for the advice of a Solicitor, probably just focus on doing what they suggest. In addition, try to make sure you can get some spare cash together to ensure you can comfortably pay their bill and afford a settlement offer with the train operator, ideally without falling behind on payments of your other essential expenses (such as council tax and mortgage repayments or rent etc). Finally, and likely most importantly of all, please make sure you always hold a valid ticket for the journey you're making before boarding in future.
Yeah I'm ready for that eventuality, annoyingly it does mean my life is on pause for a little bit but ah well, my fault there.