• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Secondary Glazing and Road Noise

azOOOOOma

Hello my lovelies. I’m just looking for a bit of advice. I’ve just moved into my own small house which I absolutely love but despite being away from a main road the new build estate is surprisingly busy with traffic noise.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience of secondary glazing? My window sill would allow a 20cm air gap which I believe is good. I’ve been quoted a £1000 so I want to make sure it would be worth it.

Laura x

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
I live on a dual carriageway (not literally of course, that would be a bit draughty) with plenty of traffic. Most of the windows in my house have secondary glazing (installed by the previous occupant) and to be honest it doesn't seem to make any difference to the noise. This installation must be at least 24 years old though so maybe a new one would be a lot better.

Snow1964

Established Member
Back in 1990s I owned a brand new flat almost under the Heathrow flight path, and that had secondary glazing, which was about 15cm inside the double glazed units and was very effective.

The key seems to be you also have acoustic insulation board on the sides, top and bottom between the normal and secondary window frames, as that seems to damp sound vibrations from passing through the frames.

If you really want to cut the noise need at least 3 layers of glass. Also if it is just one side of the house that is noisy there are acoustic panels that can be fixed to inside of outside wall (depending on thickness and type can cut sound by upto about 18db), 10db is halving sound as it is a logarithmic scale. Only downside is will make room marginally smaller.

If noise is big problem get new triple glazed windows and keep the secondary glazing. Will obviously reduce heating bills too, even more so if also line inside of exterior walls. (Whatever shady salesman say, don't waste your money getting new double glazing, if doing the job, specify triple, or don't do the job). Incidentally I believe mulling changing building regulations to triple glazing for new extensions and homes, and as legal changes are always slow, go for the potential future spec.

I have a relative who changed year or two ago, from about 30 year old double glazing to new triple glazed windows, they say house is warmer and heating bills more than halved. No drafts, and quieter too. Admittedly they did whole house but saving around £1500 per year on heating which shows benefit of good triple glazing

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Key to the effectiveness of sound attenuation in secondary glazing is the mass of the additional layers rather than with the thermal performance objective which is to reduce convection currents in the air between the panes. The secondary layer should be at least 100mm from the main panes and of at least 6mm glass, to get low frequency attenuation. For high frequencies, ensure that there are no breaks in the seals of any of the windows, (which also minimises draughts). Of course the requirements for room ventilation don't help here so ideally that should be via alternative ducts that have acoustic baffles to limit sound ingress.

azOOOOOma

Thank you everyone so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

My development is still being built and so has a temporary road surface on it. Do people think that once the proper road is put in that road noise will reduce?

Laura x