• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sellindge - Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I often find myself researching steam locomotives which have survived into preservation but haven't yet been restored. Quite a number are described as being under restoration, stored or 'last seen' at Sellindge, in Kent. There never seems to be any more info than this... so I was wondering, what is this place? Sellindge seems to be a small village with literally 2 paragraphs on wikipedia. Is there a railway storage site there? A museum? Is it ex-MOD like Longmoor or Pigs Bay? Is it one rich, anonymous individual or is this one village just littered with the rusting hulks of Merchant Navies, industrial tanks and other railway oddballs that nobody's got round to restoring?

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Its a farm about 1 mile north-east of the village that has half a dozen locomotives (possibly less now) stored or under restoration there. It used to also host the Sellindge Steam Fair which was a traction engine rally every year but that has been replaced (if not directly) by the weald of Kent event at Woodchurch.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Certainly 35025 Brocklebank Line is still there, but I expect it will move now that the Southern Locomotive Limited (SLL) are taking it into their stable for the future. The SLL did quite a lot of restoration work at Sellinge in the past.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Another Merchant Navy locomotive, 35011 General Steam Navigation, was moved to Sellinge in 2009 (from RAF Binbrook) and moved out in 2019 to the Swindon and Cricklade Railway at Blunsdon.

Status
Not open for further replies.