• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield to London St P - upgrading to 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradders1983

My lodger is going to London on Wednesday lunch (from Sheffield), returning Friday lunch, and the travel is being paid for by his work.

The tickets he has found are on the 1429 departure on the 19th March which costs £26, and returns home on the 1158 departure on the 21st March which costs £30.

HOWEVER

He has noticed that the first class tickets for these journeys would only cost him £5 and £6 more respectively, but his employer is only willing to pay for standard class travel.

If he turned up at Sheffield station on Wednesday, how much would it cost to excess each portion of the ticket to first class travel at the ticket office? I am guessing it would cost more than the £11 above but an answer would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dcsprior

I'm guessing that the £5 / £6 difference was the difference between a Std Advance, and a 1st Advance? If so, then even if excessed immediately after purchasing I think there'd be a £10 each way admin cost - making it £31 in total.

It may be best to speak to the employer here, and see if its OK to buy the 1st Class ticket, but submit a claim for the cost of a Std Class one. I have done this myself in the past(with a screenshot of what the std class ticket would've cost on the same train)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If he was able to go down to Sheffield station on Monday or Tuesday, or if he has access to the online account the ticket will be bought from, he would be able to excess it for a £10 per ticket plus the difference in cost between a standard advance and a first advance.

If he turns up on the day it'll be £10 plus the difference between the standard advance and the first single/return.

His best bet is to ask his employer nicely. I've never had any issue, so long as I've supplied a screenshot of the cost of the standard ticket as well as the first class one.

EMT first class is OK but not worth paying £50 each way for!

lightbulb

Don't forget the on-board EMT 1ST UPGRADE. It's around £40 per single journey, irrespective of the STD class ticket held.

Status
Not open for further replies.