• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shenfield Brake van to be scrapped

Babybirdrobin

It has been brought to my attention that the brake van sat in Shenfield is to be chopped on Saturday, is this true or rumor fuel?
Assumed rumor but I’d like to check.

Edit:
Just been through and afaik, it has moved

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Do we know why it was suddenly scrapped after all this time?

Established Member
Do we know why it was suddenly scrapped after all this time?

Well not until this Saturday according to local information. Probably because it was becoming unsafe, sat as it was next to the running line through platform one. Moving it to the headshunt should make it easier to take the bits away.

Babybirdrobin

Whilst there were lots of suggestions online that it was going to be scrapped last weekend, it was in fact only moved from one end of the siding to the other. At time of writing, it hasn’t been scrapped.
Ok, I haven’t found it and heard that it does have bats in it so may get a reprieve as bats are protected.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Whilst there were lots of suggestions online that it was going to be scrapped last weekend, it was in fact only moved from one end of the siding to the other. At time of writing, it hasn’t been scrapped.
Thanks - I'm surprised it was able to be moved without falling to bits!

I take it the plan is still to scrap it on location?

apinnard

Aaaand it’s gone.

Link to Wardle Restorations Facebook page below showing the remains of the cut-up brake van. Photos attached for those without Facebook (not my photos - source unknown but found on Facebook.)

Attachments

• IMG_6998.jpeg
    IMG_6998.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6997.jpeg
    IMG_6997.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    727.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
The old boys would be astounded that there’s been so much fuss made about a brake van :lol:

Towers

Established Member
Presumably they’ve removed the chassis as well, or does it sort of live on a bit?!

Gloster

Established Member
Just to be pedantic, it was a Shark Plough Van, not a Brake Van, although they were used as brakes from time to time; note the ploughs underneath. DB993733 was built by Birmingham RC&W in 1956.

THC

Saw this on Facebook just now. Mourned in the wider world too.

THC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311-170328.png
    Screenshot_20240311-170328.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 180

TomG

I didn't think this would happen.
I used to use Shenfield quite a bit and remember being told (albeit before Shenfield had gone its crossrail re-vamp including track and signalling) by some NR engineers (I think - can't be sure) that the Guards Van couldn't be moved as it would take out small equipment for signalling next to the siding and it would be too difficult to crane out [from its current position] (living in Shenfield all my life I know that to be true).

skyhigh

Established Member
and it would be too difficult to crane out [from its current position] (living in Shenfield all my life I know that to be true).
Which is why it was broken up on site, not craned out.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Shame, it happens though :(
Given how much people complain about the amount of scrap and rubbish being left about the network, you'd have thought there'd be a generally more positive reaction to the railway actually doing something to sort it out.

Towers

Established Member
Given how much people complain about the amount of scrap and rubbish being left about the network, you'd have thought there'd be a generally more positive reaction to the railway actually doing something to sort it out.
Well, I guess there’s a bit of a difference between the generic ‘P Way litter’ dumped all over the place and an item of what is essentially now heritage rolling stock, which has been sat in a siding for pushing 40 years and become something of a celebrity! It’s a tad sad they went for the latter, but of course it was clearly necessary. I have to say I’m amazed it lasted so long without being torched!