• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I travel with Cross country or EMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulr6r35795e0

Hi all

Im travelling to chesterfield and have 2 choices, cross country from york or emt from sheffield

Ive never been on cross country or emt
What would you reccomend? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holmevalley

A Bus? EMT mainline from Sheffield is OK as you will board at the origin and most likely get a seat, XC from York could well be packed on arrival at York....my vote EMT

cuccir

Established Member
Where is your journey actually starting from?

Of course you could take an XC from York to Sheffield and then change onto EMT if you want to do some TOC-bagging!

If you're not travelling during the peak there's usually some seats on CrossCountry heading south from York, but it can be the point at which a busy train fills up. Via Doncaster trains are usually quieter than via Leeds trains.

Whichever arrives first when i turn up at the station! Usually look for a hst rather than a voyager/meridian.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Depends what you're after:

First Class:

Leather seats - EMT
Complimentary food - XC definitely

Standard Class:

EMT anyday

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's 10 minutes from Sheffield to Chesterfield, I wouldn't worry.

Where are you actually travelling from?

Iskra

Established Member
Depends what you're after:

First Class:

Leather seats - EMT
Complimentary food - XC definitely

Standard Class:

EMT anyday

EMT HST's don't have leather seats, and XC's complimentary 'food' doesn't extend beyond biscuits unless it's in the morning and even then it's very basic.

Kettledrum

I have done this journey with both TOCs and they are worlds apart. It's all to do with the ambiance. You think the traction should be very similar units, travelling on the same rails, but the XC units are always more dirty, smelly, and crowded. EMT win hands down for me, but you really should try both options for yourself to experience the difference.

satisnek

If you're ever at Sheffield late evening on a weekday and travelling south, you'll see EMT and XC services both departing at 2201. This is not an error - pick the EMT one. Unless you've got time on your hands and a burning desire to travel the 'Old Road' in the dark...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
EMT HST's don't have leather seats, and XC's complimentary 'food' doesn't extend beyond biscuits unless it's in the morning and even then it's very basic.

I would like to politely inform you that you are incorrect. Breakfast is a Bacon, Egg and Sausage muffin, Porridge, Bacon Roll or Yoghurt and Granola. During the rest of the day (Weekdays) XC provide Cream Teas, Sandwiches, Wraps, Crisps, Hot Soup and Savoury Muffins all day. Weekends is biscuits, fruit cake and crisps.

The majority of EMT services from Sheffield are 222s which do have leather seats, and the rare visitors to Sheffield that are HSTs have leather cushions, but as I said these are usually confined to Nottingham and Leeds duties as they cannot keep up with the Sheffield meridian timings.

:D

Iskra

Established Member
I would like to politely inform you that you are incorrect. Breakfast is a Bacon, Egg and Sausage muffin, Porridge, Bacon Roll or Yoghurt and Granola. During the rest of the day (Weekdays) XC provide Cream Teas, Sandwiches, Wraps, Crisps, Hot Soup and Savoury Muffins all day. Weekends is biscuits, fruit cake and crisps.

The majority of EMT services from Sheffield are 222s which do have leather seats, and the rare visitors to Sheffield that are HSTs have leather cushions, but as I said these are usually confined to Nottingham and Leeds duties as they cannot keep up with the Sheffield meridian timings.

:D

In that case it has changed drastically since I last used it, as there wasn't a rest of the day offering then (or it wasn't offered if it was available), I do apologise. I wouldn't describe HST's as rare at Sheffield, there are plenty of visits on a daily basis from both EMT and XC. Also, the EMT HST's definitely do not have leather seats in first class- I use them frequently (from Sheffield...).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh, well I apologise too for the HST thing then. There are definitely leather bits on the hired EMT one from VTEC, very different to the normal VTEC seats.

Failed Unit

Established Member
XC may like many TOCs advertise certain catering. Reality is different. I would go for EMT. If you pick XC for the freebies you will be disappointed. I haven’t had more than a coffee from them. (But a look at what you could have won menu).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Well I always get a scone with jam and cream alongside crisps and a coke on a weekday!

Kite159

Veteran Member
If going from Sheffield to Chesterfield I would aim for the EMT service, only because they tend to start from Sheffield so you are more likely to get a seat.

Although for that route the superior traction is the 158s to Nottingham ;)

Veteran Member
If going from Sheffield to Chesterfield I would aim for the EMT service, only because they tend to start from Sheffield so you are more likely to get a seat.

Although for that route the superior traction is the 158s to Nottingham ;)
Half of which are also EMT, just to confuse things.

Status
Not open for further replies.