• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

shunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick2678

hi, Just wondered how i might get into shunting. Trainee Train Driver jobs are obviously very competitive and ive already failed at app form stage once. I have a fri whose wife used to shunt and he said it could be a good way to get my foot in the door so to speak. im 45 now live in manchester and wish id tried sooner. I cant seem to find where shunting jobs are advertised when they come up. Any help would be great. Thanks Rick

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnFM

You simply bookmark this jobs thread for some updates but also bookmark the jobs pages for the TOC's. Check them periodically.

As with all train driver roles the job advert will usually be withdrawn early as they have the required number of applicants quite early.

I would say though that shunting is a relatively small role and jobs are more scarce than regular train driver roles.

Good luck but don't hold your life back in the vain hope of getting a job as some of the people on here seem to do.

The Machinist

Why not join a local preserved railway as it will give you an idea of the environment and a better idea of the role.

rick2678

hi, tried once and failed to get on a trainee train driver course. i will try again but wondered if there are any shunters on here. My fri said its a good way to get your foot in the door. However cant find any shunting jobs advertised anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick.

Romilly

Established Member
Had you thought of regularly searching for "depot train driver" jobs rather than "shunter" jobs?

JohnFM

hi, tried once and failed to get on a trainee train driver course. i will try again but wondered if there are any shunters on here. My fri said its a good way to get your foot in the door. However cant find any shunting jobs advertised anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Rick.

Rick, did you read my post above?

You won't find any shunting jobs via google as they are like finding rocking horse poo.

Check the job pages of TOC's and check here but they will probably only come up a couple of times a year for any one TOC.

rick2678

Rick, did you read my post above?

You won't find any shunting jobs via google as they are like finding rocking horse poo.

Check the job pages of TOC's and check here but they will probably only come up a couple of times a year for any one TOC.

i did read ur post thanks for ur help pal. I think there adververtised as trainee depot drivers not shunting drivers as well. cheers rick.

1664lee

Good evening all,

I'm new on here. Back in June I applied for a job as an Operations Team member (shunter) salary £22564. I've been lucky enough to pass the assessment's and interview. However what I've been offered is carriage cleaner / relief shunter, salary £17k. Can anyone offer me any advise on weather this is normal or if they are offering me a different job. I've emailed to ask, unfortunately I have no telephone number to call and ask in person. Any advise will be appreciated.

GMT

Good evening all,

I'm new on here. Back in June I applied for a job as an Operations Team member (shunter) salary £22564. I've been lucky enough to pass the assessment's and interview. However what I've been offered is carriage cleaner / relief shunter, salary £17k. Can anyone offer me any advise on weather this is normal or if they are offering me a different job. I've emailed to ask, unfortunately I have no telephone number to call and ask in person. Any advise will be appreciated.

Was that the role at Bellingham station by any chance? If that is the one, it didn't sound as shunter driver or depot driver role. Among other things, at Bellingham there are three tracks only, if I'm not wrong.

1664lee

Was that the role at Bellingham station by any chance? If that is the one, it didn't sound as shunter driver or depot driver role. Among other things, at Bellingham there are three tracks only, if I'm not wrong.

This wasn't for a position at Bellingham. It was for Soho.

rick2678

Good evening all,

where did u see the job advertised pal

Status
Not open for further replies.