• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Single-use plastic waste on trains? Discussion

innchlls

Hello, I am a student currently studying for a master's degree in product design. I am currently looking at the issue of recycling/handling the plastic waste generated by passengers as they pass through stations on their travels. I am wondering if anyone on this forum has any thoughts or issues regarding this subject, please share, I'm just looking to understand more. The current focus is on East Midlands Railway but if anyone has encountered other train companies tackling this issue, I would love to know!

I also have a short 2-minute survey to fill out if anyone is interested in helping me with my research!

Survey here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...8JnNBn0_Pa76fFOQKy9_JLBw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help or thoughts are appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jurg

I'd expect that only a tiny proportion of food and beverages consumed on trains is bought onboard.

duffield

Established Member
I would hope they have considering they now have no choice but to do so.
Plastic cutlery is banned but plastic cup lids are not, EMR and others are still using them. The particularly bad thing is that they typically give you a lid by default with the complementaries in 1st class, where it's nearly always unnecessary (hot drink is placed on the table and not carried anywhere, and you want it to cool down anyhow, so the lid is redundant).

For the first time ever, this Saturday I was actually asked if I wanted a lid - that should be standard practice, even if they switch to some better type of lid.