• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snibston Museum closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

I am take my children to Snibston Museum this Thursday 16th July before it closed for good. I wonder what will happen to the track line, will it be preserved or clear out for house development?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
The council needs to make £120m cuts by 2018 and has said that it cannot afford the museum’s £900,000-a-year running costs. It plans to close the museum on 31 July, sell the existing building to developers and create a smaller mining museum in the site’s adjoining colliery, a move that it says will save £580,000 annually.
Source: http://www.museumsassociation.org/m...rs-seek-judicial-review-over-snibston-closure

I'm led to believe the pit head is a listed monument so can't be demolished. As for the rest quite a lot of the stock has either been neglected or restoration work stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.