• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern - issue wrong ticket

Cookiemonster

So today local station ticket office closed and vending machine not working.

I get on the train and go to the excess fair desk by platform 10 at London Bridge

The lady then sells me a ticket

I go to the barrier and it fails

The ticket guy then warns me my ticket is invalid and he could penalty fair me fairly aggressive asked for my details but never gave me any paperwork

Now I look at the ticket and she has sold me a off peak at 9:30 which had I been at the origin sation at this time would be fun

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where were you travelling from? It's possible that an Off-Peak ticket was, in fact, valid for your journey.

Even if it was not, clearly the circumstances dictate that it is not your fault that you were sold the incorrect ticket. By charging you the Off-Peak fare, I think there is certainly an argument to be made that the railway has 'settled' the matter and cannot charge anything extra.

In any event, you cannot be issued with a Penalty Fare or prosecuted for travelling with an Off-Peak ticket at a restricted ('peak') time. You merely need to pay the excess to the cheapest valid fare.

I'd advise you to retain your ticket or any proof of purchase you may have, and send in a Subject Access Request to Network Rail and Southeastern for any CCTV or Body Worn Video footage they may have of the incident, to help prove your version of events in case they later try and threaten you with a prosecution.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Where were you travelling from? Were you let through the barriers? Did this person actually write down/record your details?

If you're lucky, you'll hear nothing more. But as @Watershed advises, do not throw away your ticket - you may need to produce it as evidence should the railway company write to you