• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robertclark125

Established Member
See Reays have more new buses running in Carlisle two new Wright B44F in plain white YJ 62 JZR /T operating on the 75 today, yesterday it was only one YJ62JZT.
Regards
Ernie

Clearly at this rate he's going to be bigger than Stagecoach before long, and may even put them off the road in some areas..

robertclark125

Established Member
Thing is, Mbonwick, all this refinancing, the debt has to be paid. Now, he's running around Carlisle each week with 25'000 passengers, all paying their X amount of pounds in weekly saver tickets, he has a lucrative private hire operation (so he says), and has recently expanded into the lake district, and is planning new routes out west. So, the money has to be paid back and you wonder if he is.

That said, on the other hand, money costs money, and all it takes is Stagecoach doing something such as "one hundred days travel for 100 pence", as an example, and the thing could come crashing down, or the banks, or whoever is lending him the cash, want their money back quicker, and it may change.

robertclark125

Established Member
I just have this hunch, I dunno why, that Stagecoach, in 2013, are going to do something nasty in Carlisle, whether it be a free travel promotion, or a heavily discounted promotion. I know that Mcgills have seemingly done it before in Paisley, I just think that we could see it happen again.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
a fdw gold line services, a review of the city network, solos running through the smaller estates SC dont currently serve, a fleat upgrade of as Robert says a price crash will be all thats needed to stop this. As a semi regular visiter to Carlisle the way I see it is that the Cityhopper network is only really doing well by serving the bits Stagy dont and the the core runs are still in stagecoaches controll as far as passenger numbers go.
By serving some of the estates and out of town shops Cityhopper is getting young families and a good bit of consession money but if Stagy were really bothered then they would do something about it and register identical or similar runs.
I may be entirely wrong but I think the future is in tourist runs - a Carlisle to Barrow or Kendle bus would potentially do great things if correctly timed, priced and marketed and iether a profile or coach seated decker (b9tl maybe) would make it attractive for long distance customers

KendalKing

Established Member
I may be entirely wrong but I think the future is in tourist runs - a Carlisle to Barrow or Kendle bus would potentially do great things if correctly timed, priced and marketed and iether a profile or coach seated decker (b9tl maybe) would make it attractive for long distance customers

Stagecoach did try running a Barrow - Kendal - Carlisle express service about 5-years ago, but it was withdrawn due to losing money. It only ever carried freebies.

cainebj

Established Member

The problem with services like that is the competition with the better rail services and car travel, it would end up with most passengers being "free" NoW card holders.
Kendal - Carlisle can be done in less than 50 minutes (including train change at Oxenholme), where an express bus service covering the same Kendal - Carlisle would probably be nearer 1hr 15. Kendal to Preston on the train can be done in less than 45 minutes, Preston having a better choice for shoppers and has the all important Primark. Barrow - Carlisle would probably be approx. 2 hours on an express bus/coach service, whereas shoppers from Barrow could get to Preston on the train in less than 1hr 30 (nearer 1hr 40 in car). The train will cost them more than a £10 Stagecoach Explorer, but they're getting a better shopping choice by going to Preston, especially when the Barrow area has a high unemployment rate so its more likely locals will prefer paying slightly more on travel to get to places like Primark, even more so when a mother can drop her kids off at school, train to Preston, plenty of shopping time then back home to pick her kids up from school (9:23 Barrow - Preston 10:45, then 13:04 Preston - Barrow 14:39, with a 10 minute train change gap at Lancaster). It isn't as easy to do a day like that on bus/coach services without having special excursion's.
It's probably similar to the situation with the old X3 Whitehaven - Newcastle & Metrocentre, quicker to get there on train, and the trains were more frequent running at better times for the passengers. X1 Barrow - Carlisle & Gretna Gateway shopping express will have been similar, and also the shops most people would visit were opening in Barrow area, or in areas nearer to Barrow, resulting in the shopping express becoming a free trip out for card holders.

stagecoachuk

a fdw gold line services, a review of the city network, solos running through the smaller estates SC dont currently serve, a fleat upgrade of as Robert says a price crash will be all thats needed to stop this. As a semi regular visiter to Carlisle the way I see it is that the Cityhopper network is only really doing well by serving the bits Stagy dont and the the core runs are still in stagecoaches controll as far as passenger numbers go.
By serving some of the estates and out of town shops Cityhopper is getting young families and a good bit of consession money but if Stagy were really bothered then they would do something about it and register identical or similar runs.

No scope for any Goldline routes here, a review of the City network would not achieve a great deal and just about everything is sorted out with the current network and as for Solos into smaller estates I just do not see any scope. What areas do you want to cover? There isnt a great deal of places that Reays go and Stagecoach dont. I can think of 2 off the top of my head but Stagecoach still have a bus that goes within easy walking distance to these areas. If Stagecoach did go right into every estate and area it's likely the bulk of passengers would be OAP (I.E The Beeches & Houghton Hall) which do not cover your costs.

Also, Reays are not doing well because they go to places Stagecoach dont. They are doing ok because they go to the exact same places right infront of Stagecoach on this magical timetable they operate too which changes on every run!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
20960 reinstated at Carlisle due to a shortage of buses. This one just wont go to die at Lillyhall...

Dallamlad

Established Member
aye its been out since Saturday
Batts is out as well
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Enviro 200's 36778-36782 are already in use at Wigan, with the Enviro 300's & 400's being due shortly.[/Q

27817 to 27827 for the 600 service
Aint no 400s going in

Yeah I saw the Batts one earlier with company logos etc. So is the Batts one just for the day with the solo returning soon or will it all be streetlite? I know it's not SC but just curious as to whether there will be a lot more Streetlites about.

CumbrianJosh

The problem with services like that is the competition with the better rail services and car travel, it would end up with most passengers being "free" NoW card holders.
Kendal - Carlisle can be done in less than 50 minutes (including train change at Oxenholme), where an express bus service covering the same Kendal - Carlisle would probably be nearer 1hr 15. Kendal to Preston on the train can be done in less than 45 minutes, Preston having a better choice for shoppers and has the all important Primark. Barrow - Carlisle would probably be approx. 2 hours on an express bus/coach service, whereas shoppers from Barrow could get to Preston on the train in less than 1hr 30 (nearer 1hr 40 in car). The train will cost them more than a £10 Stagecoach Explorer, but they're getting a better shopping choice by going to Preston, especially when the Barrow area has a high unemployment rate so its more likely locals will prefer paying slightly more on travel to get to places like Primark, even more so when a mother can drop her kids off at school, train to Preston, plenty of shopping time then back home to pick her kids up from school (9:23 Barrow - Preston 10:45, then 13:04 Preston - Barrow 14:39, with a 10 minute train change gap at Lancaster). It isn't as easy to do a day like that on bus/coach services without having special excursion's.
It's probably similar to the situation with the old X3 Whitehaven - Newcastle & Metrocentre, quicker to get there on train, and the trains were more frequent running at better times for the passengers. X1 Barrow - Carlisle & Gretna Gateway shopping express will have been similar, and also the shops most people would visit were opening in Barrow area, or in areas nearer to Barrow, resulting in the shopping express becoming a free trip out for card holders.

The advantage of having an express bus service is that it would most likely cost a fair bit less than the train, here's an example.. I know it's not exactly a long distance bus journey but I regularly travel on the 106 between Penrith and Kendal and a return is £5.15 which is extremely good! but if I was to go by train which I use to do a lot, even with my railcard it cost me something like £12.40 so despite the fact the bus is slower, I'd much rather use it because it's so cheap..
Point I'm making is that a return from Kendal to Carlisle(changing at oxenholme) is £14.90 however on the bus it's most likely going to be a bit under £10 and despite the fact the bus is going to take about 20-30 minutes longer than the train, I'd say a fair number of People will be tempted by low prices.

I have a couple of ideas for express routes that could potentially appeal to a lot of people.. :D

Barrow-Ulverston-Kendal-Lancaster-Trafford centre Manchester(perhaps weekends only, would be popular with christmas shoppers)
and perhaps on weekends in summer, something like..
Whitehaven-Workington-Keswick-Windermere-Kendal-Blackpool(which provides a link from West cumbria to certain parts of the lakes and from a lot of places in the lakes to Blackpool) I'd love to know what people think :D

jonesy3001

Established Member
ME used to run the X71 to the trafford centre from lancaster via the uni and then the M6 using 16662 as it was the only tachograph bus at the time but the service was withdrawn due to low numbers, but it was nice seeing a Manchester based trident coming into the yard(V-DFT) when 16662 broke down at the trafford centre once.

CumbrianJosh

ME used to run the X71 to the trafford centre from lancaster via the uni and then the M6 using 16662 as it was the only tachograph bus at the time but the service was withdrawn due to low numbers, but it was nice seeing a Manchester based trident coming into the yard(V-DFT) when 16662 broke down at the trafford centre once.

A service from the south of Cumbria maybe that stops in Lancaster might work out better? A lot of people I know from around Kendal/Barrow area travel to Manchester or trafford centre a lot so if it was fairly cheap it could work out.

mbonwick

Established Member
For longer distance journies, the train will nearly always be quicker and cheaper, especially if booked in advance.

2hrs on a train to Manchester is much more appealing than 2.5hrs on a coach, at least you can get up, visit a decent size toilet and buy food on a train.

KendalKing

Established Member
I have a couple of ideas for express routes that could potentially appeal to a lot of people.. :D

Barrow-Ulverston-Kendal-Lancaster-Trafford centre Manchester(perhaps weekends only, would be popular with christmas shoppers)

The Travellers Choice, operate a number of day excursions throughout the year from the Barrow & Ulverston area to Manchester & the Trafford Centre.

So I can't see an express service working.

For longer distance journies, the train will nearly always be quicker and cheaper, especially if booked in advance.

It's not just the longer journies, but shorter journies such as Carnforth to Lancaster, the train take 9-mins and cost £2.10 return, the last time I used the bus it took 22-mins and cost me £4.10 single.

Last edited:

CumbrianJosh

The Travellers Choice, operate a number of day excursions throughout the year from the Barrow & Ulverston area to Manchester & the Trafford Centre.

So I can't see an express service working.

It's not just the longer journies, but shorter journies such as Carnforth to Lancaster, the train take 9-mins and cost £2.10 return, the last time I used the bus it took 22-mins and cost me £4.10 single.

It seems to be totally different in different places I mean between Penrith and Kendal it's £5.15 on the bus but twice as long as the train which costs roughly £12.50. But then say Penrith to Keswick which is a much shorter journey costs £9.50(roughly)

A day return for one adult from Barrow to Manchester would cost £30.70 off peak and £40.60 at peak times. So imagine a family trip from cumbria there! Where as a more scheduled bus service might be slower but it's going to cost much cheaper overall.

That's a reason I suggested they could have a summer service from Cumbria to Blackpool. It would be popular with tourists and much cheaper than a train!

madannie77

2hrs on a train to Manchester is much more appealing than 2.5hrs on a coach, at least you can get up, visit a decent size toilet and buy food on a train.

Theoretically, yes, but not always. On a train journey from Manchester to Carlisle last weekend I (and many others) had to stand from Manchester to Lancaster. Between Manchester and Preston the train was so crowded that there was no chance of getting to the toilet or trolley.

Still prefer to take the train rather than the bus/coach, though (apart from when travelling to Newcastle - it might be a Pacer!)

stagecoachuk

Theoretically, yes, but not always. On a train journey from Manchester to Carlisle last weekend I (and many others) had to stand from Manchester to Lancaster. Between Manchester and Preston the train was so crowded that there was no chance of getting to the toilet or trolley.

Still prefer to take the train rather than the bus/coach, though (apart from when travelling to Newcastle - it might be a Pacer!)

Think I would still rather have a pacer than a 130 mins journey on the 685 with the choice of 3 clapped out Coaches!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
its a long time since I rode the 685 - what vehicles are both stagy and Ariva using now? Im assuming from you clapped out comment its not profiles?
As it is I like, ma, love pacers so its usually train.

As a Scottish based member I would use a West Cumbria Blackpool express as train via Preston is pricy and as another poster pointed out often horribly crouded!

Back to 685 would this run be in line for the X5s profiles should they be replaced?

CumbrianJosh

its a long time since I rode the 685 - what vehicles are both stagy and Ariva using now? Im assuming from you clapped out comment its not profiles?
As it is I like, ma, love pacers so its usually train.

As a Scottish based member I would use a West Cumbria Blackpool express as train via Preston is pricy and as another poster pointed out often horribly crouded!

Back to 685 would this run be in line for the X5s profiles should they be replaced?

Arriva are using the same plaxton premiers that have been on the route for more than 10 years now, and they are now feeling their age.. Their suspension is a bit iffy at times on bumpy roads I've often found!

Stagecoach use knackered joncks that were formerly used on the X4/X5

Strangly enough I have to travel between Carlisle and Newcastle on the 685 tomorrow! should be fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.