• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stirling-Alloa line exceeds expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
MORE than 400,000 passengers used the Stirling-Alloa railway line in its first year – two and a half times as many as expected.

The Scottish Government's Transport Scotland agency, which was in charge of the project, said 155,000 passengers were initially forecast to use the six-mile route in its first year.

The £85million line, which continues to Kincardine for coal trains, opened last May nearly two and half years late after costing more than twice its original budget.

It reconnected Alloa to the main rail network after a gap of 41 years.

Hourly direct trains to Glasgow will be supplemented by some peak hour direct services to Edinburgh from next week.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/StirlingAlloa-line-exceeds--expectations.5255901.jp

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bittern

Established Member
This is fantastic to hear. Maybe this'll make them look at other places that need railway connections?

Or, y'know, maybe not.

me123

Established Member
SAK line is one of the biggest success stories in rail. It's been a huge success and it's well supported by locals. It definitely warrants a half hourly in in my opinion, even if it's only as far as Stirling. I can also see potential to extend the line to Dunfermline for passenger opertions; it wouldn't cost much and a Glasgow-Fife direct link could be valulable.

But we do need to be realistic here. SAK was a success story, but mostly because of extremely high levels of use; beyond what was predicted. Let's face it; a lot of lines Beeching closed were closed for a reason; low usage. Therefore, Stirling-Oban really isn't going to be feasible.

Hopefully, as you say, they will look on it as potential however. There are many projects which could benefit local communities and national economies in the UK. A link to Callander could be argued, as could improved Aberdeen local services (eg, to Peterhead). Just a couple of Scottish examples that come to mind, but I'm sure that there's many in England and Wales as well with a similar or even greater argument for reopening.

route:oxford

Established Member
SAK line is one of the biggest success stories in rail. It's been a huge success and it's well supported by locals. It definitely warrants a half hourly in in my opinion, even if it's only as far as Stirling. I can also see potential to extend the line to Dunfermline for passenger opertions; it wouldn't cost much and a Glasgow-Fife direct link could be valulable.

But we do need to be realistic here. SAK was a success story, but mostly because of extremely high levels of use; beyond what was predicted. Let's face it; a lot of lines Beeching closed were closed for a reason; low usage. Therefore, Stirling-Oban really isn't going to be feasible.

Hopefully, as you say, they will look on it as potential however. There are many projects which could benefit local communities and national economies in the UK. A link to Callander could be argued, as could improved Aberdeen local services (eg, to Peterhead). Just a couple of Scottish examples that come to mind, but I'm sure that there's many in England and Wales as well with a similar or even greater argument for reopening.

Stirling to Alloa has done very well. Not surprising given that the trip takes just 12 minutes, and the bus takes around 24. Shame that it's only single track. Given the very poor roads around Clackmannanshire area, one does wonder if an extension to Tillicoultry and Dollar would also do well - it's not that long since the line was lifted.

Callander would be quite difficult considering that much of the old track-bed has, if not built over, has been built very close to in Dunblane. Cut & Cover perhaps - albeit very expensive.

anthony263

Established Member
I think this just shows politions that railways can be very well used

glad to see that the irish, scotish & welsh governments are re-opening railways, the ebbw vale line is very well used especially on saturdays where trains even 4 carriage trains are often cramed to bursting.

hopefully the fishgaurd will be the same when it is hopefully given a better rail service in the next couple years

Status
Not open for further replies.