• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Stropping About Adle" -- a poem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
(Not sure whether this is the appropriate sub-forum; mods, please move if wished.)

June 24th 1914 can be pinpointed as the date of an incident -- at a station, now closed, between Kingham and Moreton-in-Marsh -- which inspired Edward Thomas to write a poem now very greatly loved by British railway enthusiasts. While feeling a little apprehensive about being accused of blasphemy; one gathers that in his general attitudes and personal life, Edward T. was not a particularly happy bunny -- whence speculation on how if he'd happened to be be in a bad mood that afternoon, the poem might have been other than idyllic ...

The date concerned, is also somewhat overshadowed for me by an occurrence four days later, at the other end of Europe: whose date came in time, to be regarded as most inauspicious.

STROPPING ABOUT ADLE (with apologies to Edward Thomas)

Yes, I remember Adlestrop:
The name, because one afternoon
Of heat, the down express stopped there --
And sat, and sat -- it was late June;

A pain ! I asked the guard, "What's up?" --
The twit had not the faintest clue;
This really wasn't good enough:
Smug GWR, I challenge you --

Think you're hot stuff? Well, think again;
(I've an appointment with Bob Frost --
Bad-tempered Yank, he'll swear at me:
Verse-making time through my lateness, lost ...)

The bloody birds, full-blast they yelled:
Too numerous, those vermin -- Lord !
My head ached with their clamour -- hey,
V. Spencer, boss of G.W. Board* :

A letter unto you I'll pen;
Tell you my gripes, you useless man ...
Then Thing topped Whozis in South-Slav-Land,
And the whole damned world went down the pan.

*Victor Spencer, 1st Viscount Churchill: Chairman and Director of the Great Western Railway, 1908 -- 34

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
We need more poetry on the site!
I tried a Eurostar one based on This is the Night Mail crossing the border, but after...

This is the Eurostar
Crossing the Medway

...I got stuck for rhymes.

Gloster

Established Member
I did try a parody of Night Mail, but only got so far.

This is the e-mail crossing the ether
Bringing strange offers and loads of blether.

Offers from the rich that will make you poor
Offers to meet a nice girl next door.

Filling your box with loads of spam
And every single one is really a scam.

You’re feeling ill, got a sniffle
There’s a cure for you in all this piffle.

And here’s a girl, she’s a honey
Credit card, please, for you money.

Want to help someone who’s tearier
Here’s an address in Nigeria.

(I am not sure if the first line is original and the scansion may be a bit dodgy.)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Philip Larkin (born 09.8.1922) mentions train travel several times.

I do not live in Hull but his poem about going there really could be about my train journey home, I recite it to myself after the train leaves the main line at the junction:
Swerving east.. swerving east. ..gathers to the surprise of a 'small' town.. a cut-price crowd, urban yet simple, dwelling where only salesmen and relations come.

I wonder if there is an anthology of railway poems. Could not think of many other suitable poems, most of my favorite poets lived before the railway age

On Moderation
I did try a parody of Night Mail, but only got so far.

This is the e-mail crossing the ether
Bringing strange offers and loads of blether.

Offers from the rich that will make you poor
Offers to meet a nice girl next door.

Filling your box with loads of spam
And every single one is really a scam.

You’re feeling ill, got a sniffle
There’s a cure for you in all this piffle.

And here’s a girl, she’s a honey
Credit card, please, for you money.

Want to help someone who’s tearier
Here’s an address in Nigeria.

(I am not sure if the first line is original and the scansion may be a bit dodgy.)
On a very delayed European night train earlier this week, I did butcher the start of Night Mail to:

This is the Nightjet crossing the border,
Badly delayed and the loos out of order…

JB_B

Established Member
Philip Larkin (born 09.8.1922) mentions train travel several times.

I do not live in Hull but his poem about going there really could be about my train journey home, I recite it to myself after the train leaves the main line at the junction:
Swerving east.. swerving east. ..gathers to the surprise of a 'small' town.. a cut-price crowd, urban yet simple, dwelling where only salesmen and relations come.

I wonder if there is an anthology of railway poems. Could not think of many other suitable poems, most of my favorite poets lived before the railway age

Larkin - railway-wise - also wrote I Remember, I Remember and Whitsun Weddings.

Another great Hull poet - Peter Didsbury - wrote Scenes from a Long Sleep. (Which maybe solves your problem "most of my favorite poets lived before the railway age" )

1656101782411.png

For an anthology: you could try "Train Songs" Eds Sean O'Brien and Don Paterson.

Gloster

Established Member
In 1984 a book by a chap called Roger Green (a civil servant, I think) was published as Notes from the Overground under the pen name Tiresias. It was a collection of oddments written down during twenty years of travelling between Oxford and Paddington, including a poem (semi-erotic, I think) incorporating all the station names en route. I still find the book to be a fascinating oddity.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We need more poetry on the site!
I tried a Eurostar one based on This is the Night Mail crossing the border, but after...

This is the Eurostar
Crossing the Medway

...I got stuck for rhymes.
How about:
This is the Eurostar
Crossing the Channel
With the backpackers, and Greenies in flannel
Flying is dirty, and a pain in the a**
Champagne in the buffet, with a touch of class

Yeah, that's my limit for now. If anyone from Eurostar's marketing department sees this, speak to my literary agent! ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
Grand stuff above, throughout. Hey ! Let's ask to start a "poetry" sub-forum here -- comic, or serious, verse; or anything in between ... "own outpourings", or quoting others' ... (the Irish narrow gauge seemed to inspire from local would-be bards, much really awful doggerel -- and occasionally, something truly poignant).

Last edited:

ian1944

A couple of days ago was the 108th anniversary of a journey described in a poem evoking deep nostalgia. A certain Geordie McGonagall has penned a commemorative song of many verses, of which only the following (thankfully) has been given the light of day:

I went to Adlestrop station on the twenty fourth of June
The train stopped there unwontedly on a summer's afternoon
Paddington to Kidderminster, by no means heavy laden
Just this side of Oxford it'd passed the village of Bladon

The tune isn't known, but something rousing, indeed anthemic, seems likely.

Calthrop

Established Member
A couple of days ago was the 108th anniversary of a journey described in a poem evoking deep nostalgia. A certain Geordie McGonagall has penned a commemorative song of many verses, of which only the following (thankfully) has been given the light of day:

I went to Adlestrop station on the twenty fourth of June
The train stopped there unwontedly on a summer's afternoon
Paddington to Kidderminster, by no means heavy laden
Just this side of Oxford it'd passed the village of Bladon

The tune isn't known, but something rousing, indeed anthemic, seems likely.

I think I've discovered your secret -- the supposed Geordie McGonagall is really Geordie Ridley; who would appear somehow to have come through from the after-life, with this offering modelled on his 1862 song "Blaydon Races" (which I understand is held in some affection in north-east England). The final giveaway being the implied linking / allusion between Bladon (Oxfordshire), and Blaydon (Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead).

While the tune of the Tyneside song would indeed fit the above-quoted ditty, and is for sure rousing and anthemic; I'm not sure about the McGonagall connection -- the metre is a lot more rhythmic and regular, than is usual in dear William's "poetic gems".

I hereby claim the £5 prize ...

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Edward Thomas had good links to Ammanford , so I penned this little reworking of the poem. We have often paid a visit to the village and read the poem to some acclaim , this was my contribution one year.
Yes , I remember Ammanford.

On a freezing February day the B set dropped me there.
It was a booked call - the 1100 am Llanelly to Brynamman East.
Hundreds got on - the SM was in attendance in a pillbox hat
The stock was filthy , the heat was off and there were light bulbs missing.
(Llanelly was never good at carriage cleaning)
Steam hissed , condensation dripped , the tick of the vacuum exhauster was on obvious.
In the background , a blackbird called , coal dust settled everywhere.
With a clang the starter dropped and the Acme Thunderer blew !
The South Wales Guardian bundles were in the brake van , along with Lyons cake cartons and a stolen bike.
All the local birds burst into song - but the 57xx Pannier blasting away drowned them out.

In the sidings , best anthracite coal , still warm tinplate and freshly baked bricks awaited their turn to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.