• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWML - 3rd consecutive weekend of full closure between Surbiton and Clapham Junction

Meglos

I live on the Chessington Branch, and this weekend - for the 3rd weekend in a row - the SWML between Surbiton and Clapham Junction is totally closed. Buses are running from Surbiton to Clapham Junction (all stops except Berrylands), Chessington South to Clapham Junction, and Worcester Park to Clapham Junction. They are running trains south from Worcester Park via Epsom to Guildford (which is a good thing!)

This is really not a complaint as I totally understand the need for maintenance, and weekends are often the best time for them to be carried out. However I would be interested if someone could explain what the work being carried out actually is. I've tried the SWR Website, and the National Rail Website, and neither explain anything except 'Engineering Work'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leshuttle

There seemed to be a lot of track relaying work between Wimbledon and Earlsfield last week, including the A218 road bridge closed over the mainline for a crane. Had quite a knock on effect for local minor roads round Wimbledon Park not able to cope with cars, lost coaches and HGVs! The local 156 bus route had to run minibus shuttles to Wandsworth, whilst the double-deckers took a long diversion via Earlsfield.

v199629

They usually block 3 to 4 consecutive weekend every year during the winter months for engineering work on the main line. Assuming it will be a variety of work like track relay, signal and crossing renewal etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The engineering access statements - a set of huge pdfs issued by NR every year, (although they get superseded by a shorter term confirmed period possession plan (CPPP) nearer the date), give a brief summary of what’s planned, I’ll attach a screen grab of the page for this weekend.

But as @v199629 wrote, it’s basically listing a variety of standard planned maintenance tasks, you can see a list of the originally planned activities in the right hand column, although it may have changed slightly since publication. The source document can be found here:

You can look them up for other areas, or for 2025, on the NR website here:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 18.57.28.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 18.57.28.png
    694.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The engineering access statements - a set of huge pdfs issued by NR every year, (although they get superseded by a shorter term confirmed period possession plan (CPPP) nearer the date), give a brief summary of what’s planned, I’ll attach a screen grab of the page for this weekend.

But as @v199629 wrote, it’s basically listing a variety of standard planned maintenance tasks, you can see a list of the originally planned activities in the right hand column, although it may have changed slightly since publication. The source document can be found here:

Its a track renewal and with paired running below Wimbledon it doesn't lend itself to keeping even one line open easily. What should happen though is maximum work in the possession area to keep the route disruptive possession free for at least six months but asset condition is so variable along this corridor NR aren't in a position to do that anytime soon.

Meglos

That's really helpful to understand what's going on.

Thank you very much

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That's really helpful to understand what's going on.

Thank you very much
Not exactly easy reading, but I think having even just a bit of an idea of the planning process shows that there is some method to it all.