• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

bramling

Veteran Member
Ah, so it is Onix (as in the Pokémon).

Definitely Onix. To be fair, that traction package is pretty sound. The contemporary 95 and 96 Tube stocks are an interesting comparison. Both are reasonably well regarded, though the later 95 stock is significantly superior - both in terms of design, build quality, and how they’ve been maintained over their life.

The 96 stock (which doesn’t have the Onix traction package) seems to be starting to run into issues, and might be a fleet to watch over the next few years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Definitely Onix. To be fair, that traction package is pretty sound. The contemporary 95 and 96 Tube stocks are an interesting comparison. Both are reasonably well regarded, though the later 95 stock is significantly superior - both in terms of design, build quality, and how they’ve been maintained over their life.

The 96 stock (which doesn’t have the Onix traction package) seems to be starting to run into issues, and might be a fleet to watch over the next few years.
Equipment on the 96 Stock is based on the Networker traction package, which is of course pretty primitive and crude compared to what came later. You pay a price for pioneering certain forms of technology.

Am I right in thinking the Voyagers and Meridians are Onix too?

Journeyman

Established Member
Yep, there was a reason for Bombardier buying those in, but I don't recall what it was.
Was it a case of Virgin wanting as much fleet commonality as possible? The Southern deliberately did this with its DEMU fleet as well, of course - much of the equipment was interchangeable with EMUs.

On Moderation
Yep, there was a reason for Bombardier buying those in, but I don't recall what it was.
At the time the Voyagers were ordered Bombardier didn’t have an in-house traction system: they hadn’t yet bought ADtranz, which gave them that capability.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looks like the issue of where the Guards door control is has been made irrelevant.
See https://twitter.com/PaulCliftonBBC/status/1381966040213549059?s=19

Driver Controlled Operation throughout. So presumably the 458's are ready for this now? Or will they need cameras?
I think Clifton just adds to the confusion, with a “one size fits all” explanation.

I thought the dispute was originally about the operation of suburban 701s, and 444/450 would still operate as now because they have no cameras. 458s also have no cameras as yet, but will also operate on mainline routes, presumably with both units and crew inter-working with Desiros. So do they need to be altered?

Domh245

Established Member
I think Clifton just adds to the confusion, with a “one size fits all” explanation.

I thought the dispute was originally about the operation of suburban 701s, and 444/450 would still operate as now because they have no cameras. 458s also have no cameras as yet, but will also operate on mainline routes, presumably with both units and crew inter-working with Desiros. So do they need to be altered?

Indeed. Pulling some quote from the actual agreement (linked in this post) :

DCO is the preferred method of operation, guaranteeing the role of the Guard, and this will be applied where the rolling stock is capable of such operation
The detailed breakdown of roles and responsibilities will be identified during the new train introduction process. Guards will perform all applicable duties as required by SWR
Where rolling stock modification can deliver a Driver Open/Guards Close method of operation, that is what will operate once trains are appropriately modified and this method of operation has been safety validated. For Guards, this method of operation is supported by the same competency profile as the traditional method of operation
On initial agreement of these proposals, Guards will continue to be required to work trains to the traditional method of operation (Guard open Guard close). At any given time during future rolling stock cascades, a Guard in either grade will have any one of the following levels of operational competence of:
A - Traditional operation only (noting that the level of competency applicable to Guard open Guard close is identical to that required for Driver Open Guard Close)
B - DCO operation only
C - Traditional operation and DCO operation
For Guards in both grades, there will be a future point in time when the operational competence required is limited solely to that required to work DCO rolling stock. The exact point in time when the competence to work trains in traditional methods of operation ends, will be decided at SWRs discretion based on the depot and link of the Guard.
For Metro Guards that will be in connection with Class 701 introduction and for Commercial Guards that will be in line with any future rolling stock which SWR may procure.

My interpretation of that is that the 701s will be DCO, and mainline stock will be Driver open/Guard close where they can (which I expect will be everything bar the diesels). I think it'd be surprising if the 458s did go DCO as opposed to DO/GC - there's precious little space in the cab to put the monitors for full DCO, and I would imagine that lawyers could have a field day with that last line about "future rolling stock" though the agreement does give SWR plenty of free reign to do what they can to introduce DCO. Whatever replaces the Desiros and 458s will almost definitely be DCO though

dingdinger

Indeed. Pulling some quote from the actual agreement (linked in this post) :

My interpretation of that is that the 701s will be DCO, and mainline stock will be Driver open/Guard close where they can (which I expect will be everything bar the diesels). I think it'd be surprising if the 458s did go DCO as opposed to DO/GC - there's precious little space in the cab to put the monitors for full DCO, and I would imagine that lawyers could have a field day with that last line about "future rolling stock" though the agreement does give SWR plenty of free reign to do what they can to introduce DCO. Whatever replaces the Desiros and 458s will almost definitely be DCO though
Exactly that. 444/450s will be converted to DO/GC and I imagine the same for the refurbished 458s until these units are replaced.

Bigfoot

Exactly that. 444/450s will be converted to DO/GC and I imagine the same for the refurbished 458s until these units are replaced.
No need for conversion, just the buttons that are already in the cabs since they were built to be enabled again.

158/159 are unaffected and will remain as current go/gc.

spark001uk

Established Member
Has this working for tomorrow got anything to do wit either 442s or 458s?

5Q81 0425 Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D to Wolverton Centre Sidings​

Reported elsewhere these workings will convey 442(s) to Wolverton, for stripping of useful new parts, spares, seats etc, which will be used in the refurbishment programme of the 458s.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
442s as posted upthread ^^

2 units I believe - they are stripping the AC equipment at Wolverton.
Posts on the se-gen group.io suggest it will be 66 759 hauling 442 409 and 442 410 with the possibility of 442 420 going as well ( though I think unlikely as that would have length issues? ). The barrier vehicles will apparently be 73 212 and 73 213, which if true would make for some particularly interesting photographs along the route.

spark001uk

Established Member
Posts on the se-gen group.io suggest it will be 66 759 hauling 442 409 and 442 410 with the possibility of 442 420 going as well ( though I think unlikely as that would have length issues? ). The barrier vehicles will apparently be 73 212 and 73 213, which if true would make for some particularly interesting photographs along the route.
I think I probably read the same post, which also seems to suggest the 442 seats will be taken out and used in the 458 refurbs.
I'm a little dubious of this, if not just for the fact all those seats will form a considerable cargo to be transported to Widnes (where the 458 refurb project will take place).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm a little dubious of this, if not just for the fact all those seats will form a considerable cargo to be transported to Widnes (where the 458 refurb project will take place).
Reduced to components, they would simply be a stack of parts in a container. They wouldn't be transported complete. They have to be taken apart to remove and install them. It may just be the first class seats in any case as the standard class ones (if still the ones from Gatwick Express days) aren't better than the ones already in the 458. Perhaps the question though is whether the original 458 seats to put them back to a suitable configuration for longer distance operation are stored somewhere.

Nym

Established Member
I think I probably read the same post, which also seems to suggest the 442 seats will be taken out and used in the 458 refurbs.
Given that refurbishment sites usually box everything up and store it off site, it's no biggie to just send it elsewhere really.

Given the differing contracts and ownership (I believe the 458s are Porterbrook?) of the vehicles may result in this being placed under "Contractually difficult" unless SWR themselves are purchasing (or have purchased) the seats.

spark001uk

Established Member
Given the differing contracts and ownership (I believe the 458s are Porterbrook?) of the vehicles may result in this being placed under "Contractually difficult" unless SWR themselves are purchasing (or have purchased) the seats.
I did wonder about ownership regarding the 442 seats. Presumably the seat frames belong to Angel, and swr paid for the new cushions/upholstery? So if they wanted to take the seats as a whole, would they then need to purchase the frames?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Wouldn’t it make sense to post the 442 discussion in the 442 thread?

On Moderation
Given that refurbishment sites usually box everything up and store it off site, it's no biggie to just send it elsewhere really.

The 458s are indeed Porterbrook owned. Ownership of the 442s passed to SWR at the end of March.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we please stick to discussing SWR Class 458 to be retained by SWR on this thread, thanks :)

spark001uk

Established Member
Just thinking, would the ex 442 seat frames even fit in the 458s? Imagine they've got different fixing points?

LUYMun

Would we see the 458s to shortly carry on with their SWT blue livery after their upgrade to long-distance services before Great British Railways amalgamate the Passenger Service Contract for the Southern region? It would seem hardly a benefit to give them anything more major or a new lick of paint, with two years left on the clock.

spark001uk

Established Member
I did read somewhere that they were to receive the swr mainline livery, however that was before the gbr announcement.