• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT TVM software upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzer

Established Member
I've noticed that SWT TVMs, around the Southampton area at least, appear to have had a software upgrade. This has apparently been on some TVMs (eg around London) for some time, but I hadn't really noticed before.

They print the railcard restriction in double-height font now and also print the (correct) validity code. The software seemed mildly easier to use, though obviously I'm not used to it so it did take me longer than usual.

I have noticed one bug already - the ITSO button displays the ITSO logo next to a The Key card - which is Southern's brand and aren't valid on SWT!

I didn't have a good chance to really have a poke around - can this new software do anything the old couldn't, or is it supposed to just be easier?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ert47

Hazard a guess, the Key Card is there because Southern operates services from Southampton and you can use the Key from that station.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have noticed one bug already - the ITSO button displays the ITSO logo next to a The Key card - which is Southern's brand and aren't valid on SWT!
What matters is the product, not the medium. The Key is an ITSO medium.

So if a product is loaded onto The Key, unless it is a Southern-only product, it is valid on SWT.

island

Veteran Member
Good luck finding an SWT guard with a device capable of reading The Key though.

Muzer

Established Member
Touching a Southern The Key card to the reader produces an error. A SWT Stagecoach Smart one works fine. ITSO ticketing is nowhere near integrated yet - I expect the same would happen with the guards' readers (if they had them in the first place, which almost all the ones around Soton don't). So good luck getting a ticket from Southampton loaded onto The Key :D

This is what I meant by "isn't valid for travel" - presumably the guards will know even if they don't have readers that it's not possible to load a ticket valid on SWT (to my understanding) onto a Southern The Key yet, and so The Key is not (at the moment) valid for travel on SWT.

You can't, I believe, use The Key on Southern services from Southampton at the moment - at least, Soton isn't on the map on their website. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

ert47

You can't, I believe, use The Key on Southern services from Southampton at the moment - at least, Soton isn't on the map on their website. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeh, it looks as if it only goes as far as Warblington. I dunno then why its there =/

district

I believe some Southeastern TVMs have also had an upgrade which allows tickets to be added to a ''basket'' to be bought together, instead of having to make separate transactions.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
TVM programming will be done by the manufacturers, S&B in this case. They do ticket machines for both SN and SWT, and the likeliest reason for 'The Key' being displayed is that someone at S&B has just made a mistake.

I suspect people are reading far too much into this...

paul1609

Established Member
Touching a Southern The Key card to the reader produces an error. A SWT Stagecoach Smart one works fine. ITSO ticketing is nowhere near integrated yet - I expect the same would happen with the guards' readers (if they had them in the first place, which almost all the ones around Soton don't). So good luck getting a ticket from Southampton loaded onto The Key :D

This is what I meant by "isn't valid for travel" - presumably the guards will know even if they don't have readers that it's not possible to load a ticket valid on SWT (to my understanding) onto a Southern The Key yet, and so The Key is not (at the moment) valid for travel on SWT.

Think you are currently correct however Southern seem to believe that the key will be available on their services at SWT stations by the end of the year.

Muzer

Established Member
Think you are currently correct however Southern seem to believe that the key will be available on their services at SWT stations by the end of the year.

You never know, it might be true. What I described is the situation right now, however.

johnnycache

TVM programming will be done by the manufacturers, S&B in this case. They do ticket machines for both SN and SWT, and the likeliest reason for 'The Key' being displayed is that someone at S&B has just made a mistake.

S&B provide ticket machines for Southeastern and SWT but not Southern - all Southern TVMs are supplied by ATOS (previously Shere)

wibble

I suspect people are reading far too much into this...

People are - it was a mistake by S&B.

Status
Not open for further replies.