• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Technician - Signal Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey536

Hi guys,

I spotted a Network Rail - Technician (Signal Maintenance) job on Indeed recently. I am an ex-RAF Aircraft Technician (engines), although I've been working in IT since I left the mob. I really been wanting to get back to engineering for some time now and thought I'd apply just on the off chance. However, having read some of the posts on here regarding Technician roles for those who have no rail experience, I'm wondering now if I've made a huge mistake. Although I have a fair amount of engineering experience, is there any training provided when you start? The criteria mentioned standing in for the Team Leader, which I'm not sure about. Although I have supervisory experience from the RAF, I am pretty sure that experienced colleagues aren't going to take kindly to some new wet nose coming in without a clue and telling them what to do.

I submitted my CV and application online and today I was sent an invitation to carry out SHL testing. It's obvious from my CV that I have no rail experience, so after reading the posts here I'm now wondering why they are even offering me an assessment. My engineering experience is mainly mechanical as I have had no formal electrical training, is this going to be an issue or is training given. I've been doing research on Network Rail but haven't found anything specific to answer these questions.

I'm hard working and pick things up really quickly, but I'm just wondering how it would actually work from day one if by some miracle I was offered the job.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.